Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Purpose. To ensure an adequate supply of family-sized units in new housing stock, new residential construction must include a minimum percentage of units of at least two and three bedrooms.
(1) This Section 207.7 shall apply to all applications for building permits and/or Planning Commission entitlements that propose the creation of 10 or more Dwelling Units in all districts that allow residential uses, unless that project is located in the RTO, RCD, NCT, DTR, and Eastern Neighborhoods Mixed Use Districts, or in an area or Special Use District with higher specific bedroom mix requirements, or is a HOME SF project subject to the requirements of Planning Code Section 206.3.
(2) This Section 207.7 shall not apply to buildings for which 100% of the residential uses are: Group Housing, Dwelling Units that are provided at below market rates pursuant to Section 406(b)(1) of this Code, Single Room Occupancy (SRO) Units, Student Housing (all as defined in Section 102 of this Code), or housing specifically and permanently designated for seniors or persons with physical disabilities, including units to be occupied by staff serving any of the foregoing residential uses. This Section 207.7 shall apply to Student Housing unless the educational institution with which it is affiliated has an Institutional Master Plan that the City has accepted, as required under Planning Code Section 304.5.
(3) This Section 207.7 shall not apply to projects that filed a complete Environmental Evaluation Application on or prior to January 12, 2016, or to projects that have received an approval, including approval by the Planning Commission, as of June 15, 2017.
(c) Controls. In all residential districts subject to this Section 207.7 , the following criteria shall apply:
(1) No less than 25% of the total number of proposed dwelling units shall contain at least two bedrooms. Any fraction resulting from this calculation shall be rounded to the nearest whole number of dwelling units;
(2) No less than 10% of the total number of proposed dwelling units shall contain at least three bedrooms. Any fraction resulting from this calculation shall be rounded to the nearest whole number of dwelling units. Units counted towards this requirement may also count towards the requirement for units with two or more bedrooms as described in subsection (c)(1).
(1) These requirements may be waived or modified with Conditional Use Authorization. In addition to those conditions set forth in Section 303, the Planning Commission shall consider the following criteria:
(A) The project demonstrates a need or mission to serve unique populations, or
(B) The project site or existing building(s), if any, feature physical constraints that make it unreasonable to fulfill these requirements.
(Added by Ord. 158-17, File No. 161351, App. 7/27/2017, Eff. 8/26/2017)
For current provisions relating to demolition, merger, and conversion of dwelling units, see Sec. 317.