Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The following uses are principally permitted in all P Districts when found to be in conformity with the General Plan:
(a) Structures and uses of governmental agencies not subject to regulation by this Code.
(b) Public structures and uses of the City and County of San Francisco, and of other governmental agencies that are subject to regulation by this Code, including Neighborhood Agriculture, as defined in Section 102 of this Code; and,
(c) Accessory nonpublic uses, which in P Districts may or may not be related to the Principal Use, provided that they meet the following standards:
(1) If the accessory nonpublic use is located on a lot with an OS Height and Bulk designation per Section 290 of this Code, it shall occupy a de minimis amount of space so that it does not detract from the lot’s principal or exclusive purpose as open space. In no case may accessory nonpublic uses occupy more than one-third of the total lot area occupied by the Principal Use;
(2) If the accessory nonpublic use is located on a lot without an OS Height and Bulk designation, it shall not occupy more than 1/3 of the total occupied floor area of the principle use;
(4) The accessory nonpublic use is principally permitted within the closest non-Residential District. The closest non-Residential district is defined as the non-Residential zoning district that is the shortest distance between any area occupied by the accessory nonpublic use and a parcel with a non-Residential zoning designation. If there is more than one non-Residential district that meets this definition, the more permissive zoning district shall apply; and,
(5) The proposed Accessory use is not a Formula Retail use as defined in Section 102 of this Code.
(d) Neighborhood Agriculture, as defined in Section 102 of this Code;
(e) City Plazas, as defined in Section 94.1 of the Administrative Code.
(f) Any temporary use identified in Sections 205 et seq. of this Code, regardless of the zoning district specified in that Section but subject to the time limits specified in that Section for such temporary use;
(g) Any temporary use not considered in Subsection (f) above for which an enabling action is taken by either the Board of Supervisors, the Recreation and Parks Commission, the Municipal Transportation Agency Board of Directors, or other City Board or Commission with jurisdiction over the property. Temporary uses authorized under this Subsection (g) shall be:
(1) Limited to a renewable period of no more than three years as approved by the Zoning Administrator, and
(2) Of a nature such that the property on which the temporary use is located can be readily returned to the state in which it existed immediately prior to the commencement of the temporary use.
(h) A publicly-owned and operated Wireless Telecommunications Services Facility used primarily for public communication systems.
(i) Residential Uses in 100% Affordable Housing Projects and Educator Housing Projects, as defined in Section 206.9, unless such property is under the jurisdiction of the San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department and used as a public park. Except for modifications otherwise allowed by this Code, any such Residential Uses shall comply with controls and notification requirements for the closest zoning district that allows Residential Uses.
(Formerly codified as Sec. 234.1; amended by Ord. 443-78, App. 10/6/78; Ord. 69-87, App. 3/13/87; Ord. 445-87, App. 11/12/87; Ord. 66-11, File No. 101537, App. 4/20/2011, Eff. 5/20/2011; Ord. 80-14 , File No. 140062, App. 6/13/2014, Eff. 7/13/2014; Ord. 235-14 , File No. 140844, App. 11/26/2014, Eff. 12/26/2014; redesignated and amended by Ord. 22-15, File No. 141253, App. 2/20/2015, Eff. 3/22/2015; amended by Ord. 166-16 , File No. 160477, App. 8/11/2016, Eff. 9/10/2016; Ord. 202-18, File No. 180557, App. 8/10/2018, Eff. 9/10/2018; Proposition E, 11/5/2019, Eff. 12/20/2019)
Division (b) amended; Ord. 66-11 , Eff. 5/20/2011. Undesignated introductory material added; division (b) amended; divisions (c)-(g) added; Ord. 80-14 , Eff. 7/13/2014. References amended in division (c)(5); Ord. 235-14 , Eff. 12/26/2014. Section redesignated; divisions (b) and (c) amended; Ord. 22-15, File No. 141253, App. 2/20/2015, Eff. 3/22/2015. Division (h) added; Ord. 166-16 , Eff. 9/10/2016. Divisions (c) and (c)(1) amended; Ord. 202-18, Eff. 9/10/2018. Divisions (g)(A) and (B) redesignated as (g)(1) and (2); division (i) added; Proposition E, Eff. 12/20/2019.