Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The following statements of description and purpose outline the main functions of the Residential and Residential-Commercial (Residential) Districts in the zoning plan for San Francisco, supplementing the statements of purpose contained in Section 101 of this Code.
(a) Purpose. These Districts are established for purposes of implementing the Residence element and other elements of the General Plan, according to the objectives, principles and policies stated therein. Among these purposes are the following:
(1) Preservation, improvement and maintenance of the existing housing stock through protection of neighborhood environments and encouragement of sound ownership practices and rehabilitation efforts;
(2) Recognition and protection of the architectural characteristics and densities of existing residential areas;
(3) Maximizing of housing choice by assuring the availability of quality owner and rental housing of various kinds, suitable for a whole range of household types, lifestyles and economic levels;
(4) Encouragement of residential development that will meet outstanding community needs, provide adequate indoor and outdoor spaces for its occupants, and relate well to the character and scale of existing neighborhoods and structures; and
(5) Promotion of balanced and convenient neighborhoods having appropriate public improvements and services, suitable nonresidential activities that are compatible with housing and meet the needs of residents, and other amenities that contribute to the livability of residential areas.
(Amended as Sec. 206 by Ord. 443-78, App. 10/6/78; Ord. 115-90, App. 4/6/90; Ord. 298-08, File No. 081153, App. 12/19/2008; redesignated and amended by Ord. 22-15, File No. 141253, App. 2/20/2015, Eff. 3/22/2015)
(Former Sec. 209 added by Ord. 532-85, 1985; amended by Ord. 443-78, App. 10/6/78; Ord. 217-05, File No. 050865, App. 8/19/2005; repealed by Ord. 22-15, File No. 141253, App. 2/20/2015, Eff. 3/22/2015)
Former Sec. 206 redesignated as Sec. 209; section header amended; undesignated introductory paragraph amended and portion thereof designated as current division (a); former divisions (a)-(e) redesignated as (a)(1)-(5); former undesignated concluding paragraph deleted; division (b) added; Ord. 22-15, Eff. 3/22/2015.