Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) General. A special use district entitled the “Corona Heights Large Residence Special Use District,” consisting of the area within a perimeter established by Market Street, Clayton Street, Ashbury Street, Clifford Terrace, Roosevelt Way, Museum Way, the eastern property line of parcel 2620/063, the eastern property line of parcel 2619/001A, and Douglass Street; and in addition, all additional parcels fronting States Street, which includes RH-1, RH-2, and RH-3 Use Districts, is hereby established for the purposes set forth below. The boundaries of the Corona Heights Large Residence Special Use District are designated on Sectional Maps No. SU06 and No. SU07 of the Zoning Map of the City and County of San Francisco.
(b) Purpose. To protect and enhance existing neighborhood character, encourage new infill housing at compatible densities and scale, and provide for thorough assessment of proposed large-scale residences that could adversely impact the area and affordable housing opportunities, the following controls in subsections (c)-(f) are imposed in the Corona Heights Large Residence Special Use District.
(c) Controls. All applicable provisions of the Planning Code shall continue to apply in the Corona Heights Large Residence Special Use District, except as otherwise provided in this Section 249.77.
(d) Conditional Use Authorizations. For all parcels zoned RH-1, RH-2, or RH-3 within the Corona Heights Large Residence Special Use District, the following developments shall require a Conditional Use authorization:
(1) Development of Vacant Property. Residential development on a vacant parcel that will result in total gross floor area exceeding 3,000 square feet;
(2) Expansion of Large Existing Development. Residential development on a developed parcel that will result in total gross floor area in excess of 3,000 square feet if that expansion results in more than 75% increase in gross square feet of development on the parcel (as it existed at any time in the last five years prior to application), and does not increase that number of legal dwelling units on the parcel. The total gross square footage calculation shall also include all development performed on the parcel within the last five years;
(3) Expansion of Large Existing Development Plus Additional Dwelling Units. Residential development on a developed parcel that will result in total gross square floor area in excess of 3,000 gross square feet, if that expansion results in more than 100% increase in gross square feet of development, and increases the existing legal unit count on the parcel;
(4) Residential development, either as an addition to an existing building or as a new building, that results in less than 45% rear yard depth.
(e) In acting on any application for Conditional Use authorization within the Corona Heights Large Residence Special Use District, the Commission shall consider the Conditional Use authorization requirements set forth in subsection 303(c) and, in addition, shall consider whether facts are presented to establish, based on the record before the Commission, one or more of the following:
(1) The proposed project promotes housing affordability by increasing housing supply;
(2) The proposed project maintains affordability of any existing housing unit; or
(3) The proposed project is compatible with existing development.
(f) In acting on any application for a Conditional Use Authorization where an additional new residential unit is proposed on a through lot on which there is already an existing building on the opposite street frontage, the Planning Commission shall only grant such authorization upon finding that it would be infeasible to add a unit to the already developed street frontage of the lot.
(Added by Ord. 143-17, File No. 170296, App. 7/21/2017, Eff. 8/20/2017)