Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Creation. There shall be a Children, Youth and Their Families Oversight and Advisory Committee ("Oversight and Advisory Committee") to review the governance and policies of the Department of Children, Youth and Their Families ("DCYF"), to monitor and participate in the administration of the Children and Youth Fund as provided in Charter Section 16.108 ("Fund"), and to take steps to ensure that the Fund is administered in a manner accountable to the community.
(1) The Oversight and Advisory Committee shall develop recommendations for DCYF and the Fund regarding outcomes for children and youth services, the evaluation of services, common data systems, a process for making funding decisions, program improvement and capacity-building of service providers, community engagement in planning and evaluating services, leveraging dollars of the Fund and the use of the Fund as a catalyst for innovation. The Oversight and Advisory Committee shall promote and facilitate transparency in the administration of the Fund.
(2) As provided in Section 16.108, the Oversight and Advisory Committee shall review and approve the planning process for the Community Needs Assessment ("CNA") and the final CNA, the Services and Allocation Plan, and DCYF's overall spending plan (including, as separate items, approval of the departmental budget and of DCYF's proposed grants as a package), and shall review the annual Data and Evaluation Report. Nothing in this Section shall limit the authority of the Mayor and the Board of Supervisors to propose, amend, and adopt a budget under Article IX of the Charter.
(3) The Oversight and Advisory Committee shall participate in the evaluation of the Director of DCYF, assist in recruitment for the Director when the position is vacant, and may recommend candidates to the Mayor.
(4) The Oversight and Advisory Committee shall establish and maintain a Service Provider Working Group as provided in subsection (e).
(5) The Oversight and Advisory Committee shall meet at least six times a year.
(c) Composition. The Oversight and Advisory Committee shall have eleven members. The Mayor shall appoint members for Seats 1 through 6. The Board of Supervisors shall appoint members for Seats 7 through 11. The Mayor and the Board of Supervisors shall appoint the initial members of the Committee by July 1, 2015. The terms of the initial appointees to the Committee shall commence on the date of the first meeting of the Committee, which may occur when at least eight members have been appointed and are present.
(d) Implementation. The Board of Supervisors shall further provide by ordinance for the membership, structure, functions, appointment criteria, terms and support of the Oversight and Advisory Committee. The Board of Supervisors shall adopt such legislation to be effective by July 1, 2015.
(e) Service Provider Working Group. The Oversight and Advisory Committee shall create a Service Provider Working Group ("Working Group") to advise the Oversight and Advisory Committee on funding priorities, policy development, the planning cycle, evaluation design and plans, and any other issues of concern to the Working Group related to the Fund or the responsibilities of DCYF or other departments receiving monies from the Fund. The Working Group shall engage a broad cross-section of service providers in providing information, education and consultation to the Oversight and Advisory Committee. All members of the Working Group shall be actively providing services to children, youth and their families. The Working Group shall be supported by DCYF staff, and shall meet at least four times a year. The Oversight and Advisory Committee shall appoint two initial co-chairs of the Working Group, who shall be responsible for developing the structure of the Working Group and facilitating the meetings. After the terms of the initial co-chairs expire, the Working Group shall select its own chairs. Working Group meetings shall be open and encourage widespread participation.
(Added November 2014)