Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Permit Required. It shall be unlawful for any individual to administer Massage for Compensation without first obtaining a Massage Practitioner permit from the Director, unless that individual is exempt from the permit requirement under subsection (b).
(b) Exemptions. The following massage service providers are exempt from the permit requirement in subsection (a):
(1) CAMTC Certified Practitioners. A CAMTC Certified Practitioner shall be ineligible for a Massage Practitioner Permit so long as he or she holds a CAMTC certification.
(2) Physicians, surgeons, chiropractors, osteopaths, nurses, or any physical therapists, who are duly licensed to practice their respective professions in the State of California and persons working directly under the supervision of or at the direction of such licensed persons, working at the same location as the licensed person, and administering massage services subject to review or oversight by the licensed person.
(3) Barbers and cosmetologists who are duly licensed under the laws of the State of California, while engaging in practices within the scope of their licenses, and limited to the massaging of the neck, face, scalp, hands, or feet of the clients.
(4) Employees of hospitals, nursing homes, mental health facilities, or any other health facilities duly licensed by the State of California, while acting within the scope of their employment.
(c) Notwithstanding any provision in this Article 29, starting January 1, 2019, a person may not file and the Department may not accept an application for a Massage Practitioner Permit.
(1) The Department shall process and may grant in accordance with this Article 29 any applications for Massage Practitioner Permits filed before January 1, 2019, even if some or all of the processing occurs on or after January 1, 2019.
(2) This subsection (c) shall not affect the status of Massage Practitioner Permits issued before January 1, 2019, or those issued under subsection (c)(1) on or after January 1, 2019.
(Added as Sec. 1901 by Ord. 269-03, File No. 030995, App. 12/5/2003; redesignated as Sec. 29.2 and amended by Ord. 262-13, File No. 130400, App. 11/27/2013, Eff. 12/27/2013; redesignated and amended by Ord. 72-15 , File No. 141302, App. 5/28/2015, Eff. 6/27/2015; amended by Ord. 272-18, File No. 180757, App. 11/20/2018, Eff. 12/21/2018)