Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Application Requirements. To apply for a Massage Establishment, Sole Practitioner Massage Establishment, or Outcall Massage Service permit, the Owner shall:
(1) File an application with the Director upon a form provided by the Director;
(2) Provide a complete set of fingerprints in the manner required by the Director from any person with an ownership interest in the Massage Business for the purpose of a undergoing a criminal background check;
(3) Pay a non-refundable application fee, as set forth in Section 29.41; and
(4) Permit inspection of any Massage facilities proposed to be operated under the permit by all relevant City departments, including but not limited to the Department of Building Inspection, the Planning Department, and the Fire Department.
(b) Applicant Information. The application form shall require the applicant to provide, under penalty of perjury, the following information:
(1) The name(s), address(es), and any other identifying information regarding the Owner(s) as requested by the Director;
(2) A description of all services to be rendered by the Massage Business;
(3) The address of any facilities proposed to be operated under a Massage Establishment or Sole Practitioner Massage Establishment permit, and a copy of the rental agreement or lease showing the names of the landlord and all of the tenants or lessees who are parties to the rental agreement; or, if the Owner owns the premises, a copy of the deed and a disclosure of any other person or entity with a shared ownership interest in the premises;
(4) The number of individuals to be employed by the Massage Business, and, except in the case of a Sole Practitioner Massage Establishment, the names and permit or certificate numbers of any Massage Practitioners or CAMTC Certified Practitioners who shall operate under that permit;
(5) All permits, certificates, or licenses related to the practice of Massage or the operation of a Massage Establishment or Massage service, currently or formerly held by an Owner, issued in San Francisco or elsewhere, including any discipline imposed by the issuing authority and a statement whether the permit holder is currently the subject of a disciplinary process;
(6) All felony or misdemeanor convictions for each person with an ownership interest in the Massage Business;
(7) A floor plan of the proposed Massage Establishment, indicating the location of all Massage treatment rooms, Massage tables, Massage chairs, and employee areas;
(8) A certificate of insurance against liability for workers compensation or proof of self-insurance in accordance with the provisions of the California Labor Code; and
(9) Any additional information as required by the Director.
(c) Organizational Owners. If the Owner of the Massage Establishment or Outcall Massage Service is or includes a corporation, the name of the corporation shall be set forth exactly as shown in its articles of incorporation together with the names and residence addresses of each of the officers, directors, and each stockholder holding more than 10% of the stock of the corporation. If the Owner is or includes a partnership, the application shall set forth the name and the residence address of each of the partners, including limited partners. If one or more of the partners is a corporation, the provisions of this subsection 29.26(c) pertaining to corporate applicants applies. The applicant shall provide the information required in subsections (a)(2), (b)(1), (b)(5), and (b)(6) of this Section 29.26 for each officer, director, and stockholder holding more than 10% of the stock of the corporation, or for each partner, including limited partners.
(d) Proof of Massage Practitioner Permit or CAMTC Certification for Sole Practitioners. In addition to the information required under subsection (b) of this Section 29.26, an applicant for a Sole Practitioner Massage Establishment permit shall provide proof that he or she holds either a current, valid Massage Practitioner permit or a CAMTC certificate. A Massage Practitioner may not hold both a Massage Practitioner permit and a CAMTC certificate.
(e) Massage Establishment Compliance with Planning Code Notice Requirement. An Applicant for a Massage Establishment permit shall also submit proof of compliance with any applicable Planning Code requirements regarding notice and posting of the proposed Massage Establishment.
(f) Deadline for submission of supporting documentation. After reviewing a Massage Business permit application, the Director shall notify the applicant in writing that the application is complete and accepted for further review, or incomplete. If the Director deems the application to be incomplete, the applicant shall supply the information or documentation that is required for the application to be deemed complete. The applicant shall have 60 days from the date that the Director provides notification that the application is incomplete to provide all required information and/or documentation. If the applicant does not provide such information within 60 days, the application will be deemed abandoned and will not receive further consideration.
(Added as Sec. 1909 by Ord. 269-03, File No. 030995, App. 12/5/2003; redesignated as Sec. 29.11 and amended by Ord. 262-13, File No. 130400, App. 11/27/2013, Eff. 12/27/2013; amended by Ord. 266-13, File No. 130789, App. 11/27/2013, Eff. 12/27/2013; Ord. 75-14 , File No. 140226, App. 5/28/2014, Eff. 6/27/2014; redesignated and amended by Ord. 72-15 , File No. 141302, App. 5/28/2015, Eff. 6/27/2015; amended by Ord. 272-18, File No. 180757, App. 11/20/2018, Eff. 12/21/2018)
(Former Sec. 29.26 added as Sec. 1927 by Ord. 269-03, File No. 030995, App. 12/5/2003; amended by Ord. 149-08, File No. 080744, App. 7/30/2008; Ord. 238-11, File No. 111101, App. 12/15/2011; Eff. 1/14/2012; redesignated and amended by Ord. 262-13, File No. 130400, App. 11/27/2013, Eff. 12/27/2013; redesignated as Secs. 29.41 and 29.42 and amended by Ord. 72-15 , File No. 141302, App. 5/28/2015, Eff. 6/27/2015)