Skip to code content (skip section selection)
All proposed massage facilities must comply with the following requirements, and with any rules and regulations adopted by the Director pursuant to Section 29.2:
(a) Toilet Rooms and Other Rooms. Toilet rooms shall be provided for clients in convenient locations.
(1) Construction of rooms used for toilets, laundry, and mop sinks, as well as rooms used for tubs, wet tables, steam baths, saunas, and shower stalls, shall be made of waterproof, nonabsorbent materials that are easily cleaned and shall be installed in accordance with the San Francisco Building Code.
(2) Plumbing fixtures in toilet rooms as well as rooms used for tubs, steam baths, and showers shall be installed in accordance with the San Francisco Plumbing Code.
(3) Urinals may be substituted for toilets after one toilet has been provided.
(4) Doors to toilet rooms shall open inward.
(b) Handwashing Facilities. Handwashing facilities shall be provided within or adjacent to the toilet rooms and shall be equipped with an adequate supply of hot and cold running water under pressure.
(1) Handwashing facilities must provide liquid hand soap in a pump or a wall-mounted dispenser and sanitary wall mounted disposable paper towels.
(2) Handwashing facilities shall be readily accessible to massage practitioners.
(c) Light and Ventilation. All portions of the Establishment shall be provided with adequate light by means of windows, skylights, or with an approved artificial light. Adequate ventilation shall be provided by means of windows or a mechanical operating ventilating system.
(1) Toilet, dressing, and massage rooms shall be provided with at least 108 lux (10 foot candles) of light.
(2) All electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the requirements of the San Francisco Electrical Code.
(Added as Sec. 1910 by Ord. 269-03, File No. 030995, App. 12/5/2003; redesignated as Sec. 29.12 and amended by Ord. 262-13, File No. 130400, App. 11/27/2013, Eff. 12/27/2013; amended by Ord. 266-13, File No. 130789, App. 11/27/2013, Eff. 12/27/2013; redesignated and amended by Ord. 72-15 , File No. 141302, App. 5/28/2015, Eff. 6/27/2015; amended by Ord. 272-18, File No. 180757, App. 11/20/2018, Eff. 12/21/2018)
(Former Sec. 29.27 added as Sec. 1928 by Ord. 269-03, File No. 030995, App. 12/5/2003; amended by Ord. 140-09, File No. 090403, App. 7/2/2009; redesignated and amended by Ord. 262-13, File No. 130400, App. 11/27/2013, Eff. 12/27/2013; amended by Ord. 266-13, File No. 130789, App. 11/27/2013, Eff. 12/27/2013; Ord. 75-14 , File No. 140226, App. 5/28/2014, Eff. 6/27/2014; redesignated as Sec. 29.45 and amended by Ord. 72-15 , File No. 141302, App. 5/28/2015, Eff. 6/27/2015)