Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Permit Application. Every applicant for a Massage Practitioner permit shall:
(1) File an application with the Director upon a form provided by the Director;
(2) Provide a complete set of fingerprints in the manner required by the Director for the purpose of undergoing a criminal background check; and
(3) Pay a non-refundable application fee as set forth in Section 29.40.
(b) Applicant Information. The application form shall require the applicant to provide, under penalty of perjury, the following information:
(1) The applicant’s name and residence address;
(2) A unique identifying number from at least one government-issued form of identification, such as a social security card, a state driver's license or identification card, or a passport;
(3) Written evidence that the applicant is at least 18 years of age;
(4) The applicant's height, weight, and color of hair and eyes;
(5) The applicant’s work history for the five years immediately prior to the date of application;
(6) All permits, certificates, or licenses related to the practice of Massage currently or formerly held by the applicant in San Francisco or elsewhere, including any discipline imposed by the issuing authority and a statement whether the applicant is currently the subject of a disciplinary process;
(7) All felony or misdemeanor convictions; and
(8) Any additional information as required by the Director.
(c) Minimum Educational Requirements. An applicant for a Massage Practitioner permit shall provide, in a form acceptable to the Director, documentation showing that the applicant has completed not less than 500 hours of instruction in Massage and related subjects at an Approved Massage School.
(d) Proficiency Test. The Director shall administer a test to all applicants, in each applicant's own language, to confirm basic proficiency in Massage before issuing a permit.
(e) Deadline for submission of supporting documentation. After reviewing an applicant’s application, the Director shall notify the applicant in writing if the application is incomplete. If the Director deems the application to be incomplete, the applicant shall supply the information or documentation that is required for the application to be deemed complete. The applicant shall have 60 days from the date that the Director provides notification that the application is incomplete to provide all required information and/or documentation. If the applicant does not provide such information within 60 days, the application will be deemed abandoned and will not receive further consideration.
(Added as Sec. 1902 by Ord. 269-03, File No. 030995, App. 12/5/2003; amended by Ord. 317-08, File No. 081250, App. 12/19/2008; redesignated as Sec. 29.3 and amended by Ord. 262-13, File No. 130400, App. 11/27/2013, Eff. 12/27/2013; redesignated and amended by Ord. 72-15 , File No. 141302, App. 5/28/2015, Eff. 6/27/2015; amended by Ord. 272-18, File No. 180757, App. 11/20/2018, Eff. 12/21/2018)
(Former Sec. 29.11 added as Sec. 1909 by Ord. 269-03, File No. 030995, App. 12/5/2003; redesignated and amended by Ord. 262-13, File No. 130400, App. 11/27/2013, Eff. 12/27/2013; amended by Ord. 266-13, File No. 130789, App. 11/27/2013, Eff. 12/27/2013; Ord. 75-14 , File No. 140226, App. 5/28/2014, Eff. 6/27/2014; redesignated as Sec. 29.26 and amended by Ord. 72-15 , File No. 141302, App. 5/28/2015, Eff. 6/27/2015)