Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(1) Dogs or cats owned or in the custody of or under the control of persons who are nonresidents of the City and County, or temporarily sojourning therein for a period not exceeding 30 days;
(2) Dogs or cats brought to said City and County exclusively for the purpose of entering the same in any dog or cat show or exhibition, and which are actually entered in and kept at such show or exhibition;
(3) Dogs or cats owned by nonprofit zoological gardens open to the public;
(4) Dogs or cats owned by duly incorporated and qualified organizations and societies for the humane treatment and prevention of cruelty to animals;
(5) Dogs or cats owned by pet shops, circuses, animal exhibits, and other enterprises maintaining animals which have been granted business licenses and kennel licenses by the City and County;
(6) Dogs or cats used for teaching or diagnostic purposes or research in conformity with State or Federal laws.
(b) No license fee shall be levied for any dog license issued for any of the following:
(1) A professionally trained and certified guide dog owned by or in the custody of a blind or partially blind person;
(2) A signal dog owned by or in the custody of a deaf person or person whose hearing is impaired. A "signal dog" shall mean any dog trained to alert a deaf person, or a person whose hearing is impaired, to intruders or sounds, as defined in Section 54.1 of the California Civil Code;
(3) A service dog owned by or in the custody of a physically handicapped person. A "service dog" shall mean any dog individually trained to the physically disabled participant's requirements including, but not limited to, minimal protection work, rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, or fetching dropped items, as defined in Section 54.1 of the California Civil Code.
(Added by Ord. 280-92, App. 8/31/92)