Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) It is the intent of the Board of Supervisors to form an Urban Forestry Council that will protect the community interest and ensure that San Francisco realizes the full range of tree benefits into the future. The Board also intends to replace any existing tree advisory bodies that the Board of Supervisors has created through legislation.
(b) The purpose of the Council is to guide the stewardship of San Francisco's trees by promoting a healthy and sustainable urban forest that benefits all San Franciscans while ensuring public health and safety.
(c) To meet this purpose, the Council shall work with all the affected stakeholders to:
(1) Develop and adopt a comprehensive urban forest plan;
(2) Educate the public on urban forestry issues;
(3) Develop and adopt tree care standards;
(4) Identify funding and staffing needs and opportunities for urban forestry programs;
(5) Report on the state of the urban forest;
(6) Help secure and encourage commitment of adequate resources for tree programs; and
(7) Facilitate coordination among agencies with tree management responsibilities.
(d) This Chapter applies the Precautionary Principle to the management of trees in San Francisco by emphasizing public participation, preservation, and expansion of the urban forest.
(Added by Ord. 171-03, File No. 030422, App. 7/3/2003)
(Derivation Former Administrative Code Section 5.230)