Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The following requirements for side yards shall apply to every building in an RH-1(D) District. Any lot width of less than 33 feet as described herein shall refer only to substandard lots of record as defined in Section 180 of this Code.
(a) Minimum side yards shall be provided as follows:
(1) For lots with a width of less than 28 feet: none;
(2) For lots with a width of 28 feet or more but less than 31 feet: one side yard equal to the amount by which the lot width exceeds 25 feet, or the same total amount in the form of two side yards, one of which shall be at least three feet;
(3) For lots with a width of 31 feet or more but less than 40 feet: two side yards each of three feet;
(4) For lots with a width of 40 feet or more but less than 50 feet: two side yards each of four feet;
(5) For lots with a width of 50 feet or more: two side yards each of five feet.
(b) Where, however, the building does not exceed 25 feet in height, any side yard required by Subsection (a) to be more than three feet in width may be reduced to three feet if the width of the other side yard is increased by the same amount as the first one is reduced.
(c) Buildings may be built to the common line of two adjoining lots if a side yard having a width of not less than the combined width of the two side yards required above for each lot is provided on each such lot on the opposite side.
(d) Only those obstructions specified in Section 136 of this Code shall be permitted in a required side yard, and no other obstruction shall be constructed, placed or maintained within any such yard. No motor vehicle, trailer, boat or other vehicle shall be parked or stored within any such yard, except as specified in Section 136.
(Amended by Ord. 443-78, App. 10/6/78)