Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Any owner or operator, or his/her authorized agent, of a residential hotel may apply for a permit to convert one or more residential units by submitting an application and the required fee to the Central Permit Bureau.
(b) The permit application shall contain the following information:
(1) The name and address of the building in which the conversions are proposed and of the building where replacement housing will be located; and
(2) The names and addresses of all owners or operators of said buildings; and
(3) A description of the proposed conversion including the specific method under Section 41.13(a) that the owner or operator selects as the nature of the conversion, the total number of units in the building, and their current uses; and
(4) The room numbers and locations of the units to be converted; and
(5) Preliminary drawings showing the existing floor plans and proposed floor plans; and
(6) A description of the improvements or changes proposed to be constructed or installed and the tentative schedule for start of construction; and
(7) The current rental rates for each residential unit to be converted or, if currently unoccupied, the most recent rental rate when last occupied; and
(8) The length of tenancy of the permanent residents affected by the proposed conversion; and
(9) A statement regarding how one-for-one replacement of the units to be converted will be accomplished, citing the specific provision(s) of Section 41.13(a) the application has selected for replacement, and including sufficiently detailed financial information, such as letters of intent and contracts, establishing how the owner or operator is constructing or causing to construct replacement housing if replacement is to be provided off-site; and
(10) A declaration under penalty of perjury from the owner or operator stating that he/she has complied with the provisions of Section 41.14(b) below and his/her filing of a permit to convert. On the same date of the filing of the application, a notice that an application to convert has been filed shall be posted until a decision is made on the application to convert.
(c) Upon receipt of a completed application to convert or demolish, the Department of Building Inspection shall send the application to the Planning Department for review and shall mail notice of such application to interested community organizations and such other persons or organizations who have previously requested such notice in writing. The notice shall identify the hotel requesting the permit, the nature of the permit, the proposal to fulfill the replacement requirements of Section 41.13 herein, and the procedures for requesting a public hearing. The owner or operator shall post a notice informing permanent residents of such information upon submission of a complete application.
(d) Any interested party may submit a written request within 20 days of the date that the Department of Building Inspection mailed the notice pursuant to subsection (c) above to the Planning Commission to schedule and conduct a public hearing on the proposed conversion in order to solicit public opinion on whether to approve or deny a permit to convert or demolish residential units and to determine whether proposed replacement units are “comparable units” as defined in Section 41.4 herein.
Ord. 56-20 repealed Ord. 38-17, restoring the text of this Section as it existed prior to adoption of that ordinance, and then enacted amendments to that text.