Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The provisions and procedures set forth in Section 309.1, applicable in Downtown Residential Districts, shall also apply in the Executive Park Special Use District (SUD) to achieve the objectives and policies of the General Plan and the purposes of this Code, including but not limited to Section 249.54 and Section 263.27, except that Section 309.2(a) and (b) shall apply instead of the provisions in Section 309.1(a) and (b), the provisions of Section 309.1(c) are modified as provided in Section 309.2(c) and Section 309.1(e) is inapplicable in the SUD.
(a) Design Review.
(1) In addition to the standard permit review process, the design of projects for all new construction shall be subject to design review and approval by Department staff. A detailed design review will be initiated by Department staff working with the project sponsor, at the time an application for Section 309.2 review or building permit is filed, and may take place in advance of filing a building permit application. This comprehensive review shall resolve issues related to the project's design, including the following:
(A) Overall building massing and scale;
(B) Architectural treatments, façade design and building materials;
(C) The design of lower floors, including building setback areas, townhouse-style units and entries, and parking and loading access;
(D) The provision of required open space, both on- and off-site;
(E) Streetscape and other public improvements, including tree planting, street furniture, and lighting and adherence to all relevant regulations, plans and guidelines;
(F) Circulation, including streets, alleys and mid-block pedestrian pathways.
(3) Other changes necessary to bring a project into conformance with the Executive Park Subarea Plan of the Bayview Hunters Point Area Plan, approved by the Board of Supervisors on July 12, 2011, the Executive Park Design Guidelines, approved by the Planning Commission by Resolution No. 18352 and incorporated by this reference into this Section, and other elements and area plans of the General Plan. If the project sponsor opposes project modifications and conditions recommended by the Director of Planning pursuant to the design review, the Director shall prepare a report of recommended modifications which shall be presented to the Planning Commission for a hearing pursuant to Subsection (c) and which shall be available to the public upon mail notification of said hearing.
(1) Exceptions to the following provisions of this Code may be granted as provided for below:
(A) Reductions in the dwelling unit exposure requirements of Section 140.
(B) Modification from dimension and exposure requirements for site open space requirements.
(C) Reduction of required on-site residential open space of 36 square feet per unit described in Section 249.54 to create additional off-site publicly-accessible open space and superior building design.
(D) Design, location, and size of publicly-accessible open space as allowed by Section 249.53 and equivalence of proposed publicly-accessible open space in size and quality with required on-site open space.
(E) Minor deviations from the provisions for measurement of height in Section 260 of the Code as otherwise provided in Section 304(d)(6), in cases where the Planning Commission finds that such minor measurement modification is necessary for a project of outstanding overall design, complementary to the design of the surrounding area, and necessary to meet the intent and policies of the relevant area plan of the General Plan.
(c) Hearing and Determination on Design Modifications and Applications for Exceptions. The provisions and procedures in Section 309.1(c) shall apply with the following modifications:
(1) Hearing. The Planning Commission shall hold a public hearing for all projects involving new construction and projects involving the establishment of retail uses of 10,000 gross square feet or more.
(2) Notice of Hearing. Notice of such hearings shall follow all notice and posting provisions for Hearings for Conditional Use authorizations for properties within NC Districts.
(3) Director's Recommendations on Modifications and Exceptions. At the hearing, the Director of Planning shall review for the Commission key urban design issues related to the project based on the design review pursuant to Subsection (a) and recommend to the Commission modifications to the project and conditions for approval as necessary. The Director shall also make recommendations to the Commission on any proposed exceptions pursuant to Subsection (b).
(4) Decision and Imposition of Conditions. If pursuant to the provisions of Section 309.1(c), the Planning Commission determines that conditions should be imposed on the approval of a building or site permit application or an application for exceptions to conform the building to the standards and intent of the Executive Park Subarea Plan and other elements of the General Plan and the applicant agrees to comply, the Commission may approve the application subject to those conditions.