Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Upon receipt of any application for a building permit, demolition permit, site permit, alteration permit, or any other permit relating to a Significant of Contributory Building or a building within a Conservation District, the Central Permit Bureau shall forward such application to the Planning Department for determination as to whether the application is subject to the provisions of this Article and, if so, for approval under this Article. An application for a Permit to Alter or Permit to Demolish or for new and replacement construction in any Conservation District shall be filed by the owner or authorized agent for the owner of the property for which the permit is sought with the Planning Department. Each application shall be verified by at least one property owner or his or her authorized agent attesting to the truth and correctness of all facts, statements and information presented.
(a) Content of Applications. The content of applications shall be in accordance with the policies, rules and regulations of the Department and the HPC. All applications shall be on forms prescribed therefore and shall contain or be accompanied by all information required to assure the presentation of all pertinent facts for proper consideration of the case and for the permanent record. Applications shall include the following information:
(1) Plans, sections and elevations showing all existing and proposed work, including but not limited to color, texture of materials, architectural design, profile, and detail;
(2) All demolition calculations and associated detail drawings showing all interior and exterior alterations associated with the proposed scope of work, including but not limited to any changes to the exterior and internal structural framework, floor plates, removal of interior walls, or changes to the foundation;
(3) Specifications describing the means and methods associated with the proposed scope of work, including any technical specifications for all exterior restoration or cleaning work;
(4) Photographs showing the property and the context of its surroundings;
(5) Any other information that the Department determines may be necessary for the particular scope of work proposed; and
(6) Information needed for the preparation and mailing of notices as specified in Section 1111.4.
(b) In addition to the contents specified for applications in (1) above, any application for a Permit to Demolish a Significant Building or a Contributory Building from which TDR have been transferred shall also contain the following information:
(1) An updated historic resource evaluation and conditions assessment report that includes any pertinent information on the condition of the building and historical, architectural, and cultural documentation about the building;
(2) The amount paid for the property;
(3) The date of purchase, the party from whom purchased, and a description of the business or family relationship, if any, between the owner and the person from whom the property was purchased;
(4) The cost of any improvements since purchase by the applicant and date the improvements were made;
(5) The assessed value of the land, and improvements thereon, according to the most recent assessments;
(6) Real estate taxes for the previous five years;
(7) Annual debt service, if any, for the previous five years;
(8) All appraisals obtained within the previous five years by the owner or applicant in connection with his or her purchase, financing or ownership of the property;
(9) Any listing of the property for sale or rent, price asked and offers received, if any;
(10) Any consideration by the owner for profitable and adaptive uses for the property, including renovation studies, plans, and bids, if any;
(11) If it is a Preservation Lot eligible to transfer TDR, the amount and value of such untransferred TDR;
(12) Annual gross income from the property for the previous five years;
(13) Itemized operating and maintenance expenses for the previous five years;
(14) Annual cash flow for the previous four years;
(15) Building plans, elevations, sections, detail drawings, and any other information required for the Replacement Building;
(16) The Statement of Eligibility as set forth in Section 128;
(17) An itemized list of the amount of TDR that has been transferred from the property;
(18) The amount received for rights transferred;
(19) The transferee(s); and
(20) A copy of each document effecting a transfer of such rights.
(c) An application for a Permit to Demolish any building located in a Conservation District or an application for new construction on vacant lots shall include plans, specifications and elevations showing the proposed exterior appearance, including but not limited to color, texture of materials, and architectural design and detail, for the replacement construction.
(d) Category V Buildings (Unrated). The owner or owner's representative of a Category V building located in a Conservation District may apply for one of the following:
(1) Compatible Rehabilitation. An applicant for a Permit to Alter a Category V Building (Unrated) may request on the application a determination by the HPC that if the proposed alteration is completed as approved, the building will be deemed a Compatible Rehabilitation under Section 1109(c) so that the lot on which the building is located becomes eligible as a Preservation Lot for the transfer of TDR.
(2) Compatible Replacement Building. An applicant for new construction in a Conservation District on a lot where a Category V Building (Unrated) has been lawfully demolished may request on the application a determination by the HPC that if the proposed new construction is completed as approved, the new building will be deemed a Compatible Replacement Builder under Section 1109(c) so that the lot on which the building is located becomes eligible as a Preservation Lot for the transfer of TDR.
(e) Permit and Application Fee Waivers. In cases of economic hardship, an applicant may be partially or fully exempt from paying fees pursuant to Section 350(e)(2).
(Added by Ord. 414-85, App. 9/17/85; amended by Ord. 95-12, File No. 120301, App. 5/21/2012, Eff. 6/20/2012)
Section header amended; section amended in its entirety; Ord. 95-12, Eff. 6/20/2012.