Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) General Duties Under this Chapter. The Department of the Environment shall:
(1) Develop goals, criteria, and strategies for optimizing municipal green building design, construction and operations and make policy recommendations regarding requirements for municipal construction projects to the Board of Supervisors;
(2) Develop and oversee a training program in green building practices, including design, construction, renovation, operation and reuse of buildings for City department heads and architects, engineers, construction managers, building managers, department managers and finance officers employed by the City in order to implement the policies adopted by the Board of Supervisors;
(3) Chair the Task Force and coordinate City departments having responsibility for compliance with the requirements of this Chapter. The Task Force shall assist the Director in providing green building advice, assistance, outreach, and education to City departments;
(4) Provide technical project oversight and assistance directly to City project teams or through green building technical assistance contracts; and
(5) Develop forms and materials necessary for compliance with this Chapter.
(b) Guidance, Rules and Regulations. After a public hearing, the Director may promulgate such guidance, forms, performance procedures, rules and regulations as may be necessary or appropriate from time to time to carry out the provisions of this Chapter, including the adoption of forms necessary to implement this Chapter. The Director is authorized to call upon the Task Force and other City departments as necessary and appropriate to assist in developing such guidance, forms, performance procedures, rules and regulations. Such guidance, forms, performance procedures, rules and regulations may include adopting appropriate versions of LEED and adopting or modifying locally-required measures for municipal construction projects, as provided in Section 706.
(c) The Director shall determine the costs of implementing this Chapter and shall request that relevant City departments provide work orders to the Department to cover the costs of implementing and maintaining the programs required by this Chapter.