Skip to code content (skip section selection)
a. The following requirements shall apply when ownership of an existing Food Service Establishment changes:
1. Within 30 days of the official transfer of ownership, the new owner shall apply for a Food Service Establishment Wastewater Discharge Permit, or other authorization, as required by the Department rules and regulations. The application shall describe any changes in food preparation and/or kitchen fixtures that could affect the FOG Discharger category that was assigned to the establishment under its previous ownership.
b. The following requirements shall apply to newly constructed Food Service Establishments:
1. Category 3 FOG Dischargers, also referred to as Less-Significant Grease Dischargers, shall install Grease Capturing Equipment and the equipment shall be operational prior to commencing the discharge of wastewater from food processing and/or kitchen areas into the City's sewerage system.
2. Category 1 FOG Dischargers shall install a Grease Removal Device or a Gravity Grease Interceptor and the equipment shall be installed and operational prior to commencing the discharge of wastewater from food processing and/or kitchen areas into the City's sewerage system.
3. No City department shall issue a First Certificate of Occupancy to a new Food Service Establishment until it has complied with this section.
c. Any existing non-Food Service Establishment business that expands or renovates its operations to include a Food Service Establishment, with the exception of a Limited Food Preparation Establishment, shall comply with the requirements of section 140.6(b)(1) or 140.6(b)(2), whichever is applicable.
d. Existing Food Service Establishments proposing remodeling or renovations that require a plumbing permit for work in food processing and/or kitchen areas and meet the criteria below shall be required to install, as part of their project, a Grease Removal Device or Gravity Grease Interceptor that complies with this Article and applicable City building codes:
1. Modifications are proposed to under-slab plumbing in the food processing or kitchen areas; and/or
2. An increase in the size of the kitchen area is proposed; and/or
3. Changes to the size and/or type of food preparation equipment are proposed which will increase the amount of fats, oils and grease discharged into the sewerage system.
(Added by Ord. 18-11, File No. 101147, App 2/16/2011)