Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) The San Francisco Tree Dispute Resolution Ordinance is enacted for the following public purposes:
(1) To create rights in favor of private property owners relating to the restoration of sunlight or views lost due to tree growth and to create a procedure for the resolution of disputes concerning those rights;
(2) To promote all feasible means of energy conservation and all feasible uses of alternative energy supply sources;
(3) To encourage the use of solar energy for heat and light, encourage food production in private gardens, and increase access to light and views of surrounding locale;
(4) To preserve and promote the aesthetic and practical benefits which trees provide for individuals and the entire community; and
(5) To discourage ill-considered harm to, or destruction of, trees.
(b) This ordinance shall not be read to impair obligations imposed by an existing easement or a valid pre-existing enforceable covenant or agreement.
(c) Nothing in this ordinance is meant to replace the peaceful, sensible, and just resolution of differences between neighbors acting in good faith.
(d) It is not a purpose of this ordinance to facilitate or encounter the transmission of radio or television signals.
(Added by Ord. 445-88, App. 9/28/88)