Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Street artists shall sell, offer for sale or solicit offers to purchase only for those specific handcrafted art or craft items created personally by the street artist or the street artist's family unit for which the street artist has been certified.
(b) Street artists shall sell, offer for sale or solicit offers to purchase only in those areas designated by the Board of Supervisors by Resolution.
The designation of any area in a public place under the jurisdiction of an officer, board or commission of the City and County is subject to the approval of, and to rule or regulations imposed by, such officer, board or commission.
(c) In areas designated by the Board of Supervisors which are not under the jurisdiction of an officer, board or commission of the City and County, street artists shall sell, offer for sale or solicit offers to purchase subject to the following regulations:
(1) No more than 4½ feet from the curb line of any sidewalk.
(2) Not within 18 inches of the curb line of any sidewalk.
(3) No more than five feet above any sidewalk.
(4) In an area not more than four feet long.
(5) Sprinkler inlets, standpipe inlets (both wet and dry) are to be kept clear for 7½ feet on each side, measured from the outer edge of standpipe bank from the building line to the sidewalk edge.
(6) Not within 10 feet from the outer edge of any entrance to any building including, but not limited to, doors, driveways, emergency exits measured in each direction parallel to the building line and thence at a 90-degree angle to the curb.
(7) Fire escapes be unobstructed underneath and perpendicular from building to the street five feet from both ends of fire escape.
(8) Not on any sidewalk adjacent to curb which has been duly designated pursuant to local ordinance or regulation as one of the following:
1. White zone
2. Yellow zone
3. Bus zone
(9) Not within five feet of any crosswalk.
(10) Inflammable liquid vents and fill pipes to be kept clear for five feet in both directions on the sidewalk when tanks are not being filled or within 25 feet while tank is being filled.
(11) Not within five feet of the display of any other street artist.
(12) Fire hydrants to have five feet sidewalk clearance.
(13) No street artist shall sell, offer to sell, or solicit offers to purchase between the hours of 12:00 a.m. (midnight) and 6:00 a.m. of the following day.
(14) All displays and objects placed in those areas designated by the Board of Supervisors shall be removed by 12:00 a.m. (midnight) and shall not be placed prior to 6:00 a.m. of the following day.
(15) No street artist shall sell, offer for sale, or solicit offers to purchase, from any vehicle.
(16) Street artists shall engage in their activities on the public sidewalks of the City and County of San Francisco in such a manner that at all times there shall remain open for the passage of pedestrians a space of at least 8 feet in width, as measured on a line perpendicular to the curb line, between the edge of the sidewalk farthest from the curb and the edge of the street artists' activities. No portion of a street artist's activities shall be included in measuring the 8-foot clear pedestrian passageway. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Board of Supervisors, by resolution, may temporarily permit street artists to engage in their activities in specified locations where 8 feet of clear pedestrian passageway cannot be maintained. Such temporary permission may not be granted by the Board of Supervisors for any period exceeding 18 months.
(d) In the Resolution designating or redesignating an area where street artists may sell, offer for sale or solicit offers to purchase, the Board of Supervisors may exempt the area from one or more of the regulations set forth in Subsection (c) above if the Board finds that the exemption will not be inconsistent with or interfere with the purposes of the regulation from which the area is exempted.
(Amended by Ord. 388-83, App. 7/14/83; Ord. 199-03, File No. 030909, App. 8/1/2003)