Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Parking Spaces. Required parking spaces may be either independently accessible or space-efficient as described in 154(a)(4) and 154(a)(5), except as required elsewhere in the Building Code for spaces specifically designated for persons with physical disabilities. Space-efficient parking is encouraged.
(1) Each independently accessible off-street parking space shall have a minimum area of 144 square feet (8 feet by 18 feet) for a standard space and 112.5 square feet for a compact space (7.5 feet by 15 feet), except for the types of parking spaces authorized by Paragraph (a)(4) below and spaces specifically designated for persons with physical disabilities, the requirements for which are set forth in the Building Code. Every required space shall be of usable shape. The area of any such space shall be exclusive of driveways, aisles and maneuvering areas. The parking space requirements for the Bernal Heights Special Use District are set forth in Section 242.
(2) Any ratio of standard spaces to compact spaces may be permitted, so long as compact car spaces are specifically marked and identified as a compact space. Special provisions relating to the Bernal Heights Special Use District are set forth in Section 242.
(3) Off-street parking spaces in DTR, C-3, RTO, NCT, Eastern Neighborhoods Mixed Use, PDR-1-D, and PDR-1-G Districts shall have no minimum area or dimension requirements, except as required elsewhere in the Building Code for spaces specifically designated for persons with physical disabilities. For all uses in all Districts for which there is no minimum off-street parking requirement, per Section 151.1, refer to 151.1(c) for rules regarding calculation of parking spaces.
(4) Parking spaces in mechanical parking structures that allow a vehicle to be accessed without having to move another vehicle under its own power shall be deemed to be independently accessible. Parking spaces that are accessed by a valet attendant and are subject to such conditions as may be imposed by the Zoning Administrator to insure the availability of attendant service at the time the vehicle may reasonably be needed or desired by the user for whom the space is required, shall be deemed to be independently accessible. Any conditions imposed by the Zoning Administrator pursuant to this Section shall be recorded as a Notice of Special Restriction.
(5) Space-efficient parking is parking in which vehicles are stored and accessed by valet, mechanical stackers or lifts, certain tandem spaces, or other space-efficient means. Tandem spaces shall only count towards satisfying the parking requirement if no more than one car needs to be moved to access the desired parking space. Space-efficient parking is encouraged, and may be used to satisfy minimum-parking requirements so long as the project sponsor can demonstrate that all required parking can be accommodated by the means chosen.
(6) Ground floor ingress and egress to any off-street parking spaces provided for a structure or use, and all spaces to be designated as preferential carpool or van pool parking, and their associated driveways, aisles and maneuvering areas, shall maintain a minimum vertical clearance of seven feet.
(b) Freight Loading and Service Vehicle Spaces. Every required off-street freight loading space shall have a minimum length of 35 feet, a minimum width of 12 feet, and a minimum vertical clearance including entry and exit of 14 feet, except as provided below.
(1) Minimum dimensions specified herein shall be exclusive of platform, driveways and maneuvering areas except that minimum vertical clearance must be maintained to accommodate variable truck height due to driveway grade.
(2) The first such space required for any structure or use shall have a minimum width of 10 feet, a minimum length of 25 feet, and a minimum vertical clearance, including entry and exit, of 12 feet.
(3) Each substituted service vehicle space provided under Section 153(a)(6) of this Code shall have a minimum width of eight feet, a minimum length of 20 feet, and a minimum vertical clearance of seven feet.
(Amended by Ord. 414-85, App. 9/17/85; Ord. 115-90, App. 4/6/90; Ord. 32-91, App. 1/25/91; Ord. 217-05, File No. 050865, App. 8/19/2005; Ord. 129-06, File No. 060372, App. 6/22/2006; Ord. 72-08, File No. 071157, App. 4/3/2008; Ord. 112-08, File No. 080095, App. 6/30/2008; Ord. 298-08, File No. 081153, App. 12/19/2008; Ord. 188-15 , File No. 150871, App. 11/4/2015, Eff. 12/4/2015; Ord. 296-18, File No. 180184, App. 12/12/2018, Eff. 1/12/2019)