Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) By no later than November 1, 2020, but as soon as possible, the City shall close County Jail 4, located on the 7th floor of the Hall of Justice at 850 Bryant Street in San Francisco.
(b) Prior to the closure of County Jail 4 under this Section 122.1:
(1) The Department of Human Resources (“DHR”) shall provide notice to unions representing affected employees and conduct and conclude any necessary meet and confer under state and local law; and
(2) The City, acting through the Division of Real Estate (“DRE”), shall comply with the requirements of California Government Code Sections 70341 et seq. and the terms of the Joint Occupancy Agreement and Transfer Agreement between the City and the Judicial Council of California, Administrative Office of the Courts, pertaining to the building at 850 Bryant Street.
(c) Notwithstanding the deadline for closure of County Jail 4 stated in subsection (a), the City may close County Jail 4 only after:
(1) DHR has submitted a written certification to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors and the Mayor that the City has satisfied applicable meet-and-confer obligations; and
(2) DRE has submitted a written certification to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors and the Mayor that the City has satisfied its obligations under California Government Code Sections 70341 et seq., the Joint Occupancy Agreement, and the Transfer Agreement; and
(3) The sooner of either (A) the Board of Supervisors receives the final report from the Safety and Justice Challenge Subcommittee of the Sentencing Commission (required by Administrative Code Section 5.25-4), or (B) the total San Francisco jail population has remained below 1044 for 60 consecutive days and both the Sheriff and the Safety and Justice Challenge Subcommittee notify the Board that the City may safely close County Jail 4.
(d) Notwithstanding the deadline for closure of County Jail 4 stated in subsection (a), the Sheriff may use the 7th Floor of the Hall of Justice for administrative, kitchen, and laundry purposes, so long as the Hall of Justice Building remains open.
(Added by Ord. 80-20, File No. 200372, App. 5/22/2020, Eff. 6/22/2020)