Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Prohibition. Operation of a commercial vehicle with seating capacity of nine or more persons (including the driver), used or maintained for the transportation of persons for profit, upon any Street listed in Section 503(b) is a violation of Division I , Section 7.2.87 (Commercial Passenger Vehicle Restrictions).
(b) Restricted Streets. Except as otherwise provided in this Code, no person shall operate a commercial vehicle with seating capacity of nine or more persons, including the driver, used or maintained for the transportation of persons for profit, upon the following Streets or within the following areas:
6th Avenue, between Lincoln Way and Kirkham Street.
16th Avenue, between Lawton and Noriega Streets.
15th Avenue, between 14th Avenue and Ortega Street.
18th Street, between Church and Market Streets.
25th Avenue between Lake Street and El Camino Del Mar.
26th Avenue, between Geary Boulevard and California Street, except that tour buses of 6,000 pounds or less in weight may operate in this location.
Area bounded by Chestnut Street to Baker Street, to Marina Boulevard to Laguna Street, to Bay Street, to Franklin Street and returning to Chestnut Street, and including the boundary streets of the area.
Area bounded by southerly line of Bay Street and Columbus Avenue, westerly line of Taylor Street, northerly line of Union Street and easterly line of Polk Street.
Area bounded by the southerly line of Golden Gate Avenue, the westerly line of Webster Street, the northerly line of Fell Street and the easterly line of Divisadero Street, and excluding the boundary streets of the area, except that regularly-scheduled buses operated or chartered by an organization for the purpose of transporting its employees to or from their place of employment may operate in this location.
Baker Street between Richardson Avenue and Union Street.
Bay Street between Baker and Lyon Streets.
Beaumont Avenue between Anza and Turk Streets.
Broderick Street between O’Farrell and Turk Streets.
Broderick Street between Pine and Bush Streets.
Broderick Street between Richardson Avenue and Union Street.
Chestnut Street between Lyon Street and Richardson Avenue.
Chestnut Street between Mason and Stockton Streets.
Corbett Avenue between 17th and 24th Streets.
Eddy Street between Divisadero Street and St. Joseph’s Avenue.
El Camino Del Mar between 25th Avenue and Legion of Honor Drive.
El Camino Del Mar between the Presidio (approximately 290 feet east of 25th Avenue) and 25th Avenue.
Ellis Street between Divisadero Street and St. Joseph’s Avenue.
Filbert Street between Lyon and Divisadero Streets.
Francisco Street between Mason and Stockton Streets.
Franklin Street between California and Lombard Streets.
Green Street between Grant Avenue and Montgomery Street.
Green Street between Polk and Mason Streets.
Greenwich Street between Lyon and Divisadero Streets.
Jones Street between Union Street and Pacific Avenue.
Larkin Street between Union Street and Pacific Avenue.
Leavenworth Street between Union Street and Pacific Avenue.
Lombard Street between Taylor and Kearny Streets.
Lombard Street between Van Ness Avenue and Polk Street.
Lomita Avenue between 16th Avenue and Aloha Street.
Lyon Street between Francisco and Green Streets.
Mason Street between Lombard and Francisco Streets.
Montgomery Street between Green Street and Broadway.
Moraga Street between 16th and 17th Avenues.
Noriega Street between 14th Avenue and 16th Avenue.
Olympia Way between Clarendon Avenue and Panorama Drive.
Panorama Drive between Clarendon Avenue and Twin Peaks Boulevard.
Parker Avenue between Anza and Turk Streets.
Powell Street between Lombard and Francisco Streets.
Rossi Avenue between Anza and Turk Streets.
Seal Rock Drive between 45th Avenue and El Camino Del Mr.
St. Joseph’s Avenue, between O’Farrell Street and Turk Street.
Stanyan Street between Anza and Turk Streets.
Stockton Street between Lombard and Francisco Streets.
Taylor Street between Columbus Avenue and Pacific Avenue.
Telegraph Hill Boulevard between Kearny Street and Coit Tower parking lot.
Twin Peaks Boulevard between Clayton Street and Burnett Drive.
Union Street between Steiner and Lyon Streets.
Vallejo Street between Montgomery and Sansome Streets.
Vallejo Street between Polk and Mason Streets.
(c) Exceptions. The requirements of this Section 503 shall not apply to:
(1) Any vehicle which is subject to the provisions of Sections 1031 to 1036, inclusive, of the California Public Utilities Code and which has received a certificate from the CPUC pursuant to those Sections declaring that the public necessity and convenience require the operation of the vehicle, provided that the certificate authorizes that vehicle to be operated within the City, and the vehicle is being operated for the purpose authorized in, and consistent with the terms of, the certificate. This exemption shall not apply to vehicles operated as round-trip sightseeing tour service as defined by the CPUC;
(2) Any commercial vehicle coming from an unrestricted Street having ingress and egress by direct route to and from that portion of the restricted Streets set forth above, when necessary for the purpose of making pickups or deliveries of passengers, goods, wares and merchandise from or to any building or structure located on such restricted Street;
(3) Any vehicle owned by a public utility while in use in the construction, installation or repair of any public utility;
(4) Transit vehicles operated by the SFMTA along a regularly scheduled route;
(5) School buses when operated for the transportation of school pupils;
(6) Any jitney bus operating pursuant to authority granted by a City permit;
(7) Any vehicle owned by the City while being used in the course of official business;
(8) Any private vehicle that is operating pursuant to a contract with the City of San Francisco for the purpose of providing services to the public; or
(9) Emergency vehicles.
(Added by SFMTA Bd. Res. No. 10-139, Ad. 11/2/2010; amended by SFMTA Bd. Res. No. 11-004, Ad. 1/4/2011; SFMTA Bd. Res. No. 11-134, Ad. 10/18/2011, Eff. 11/18/2011; SFMTA Bd. Res. No. 13-249, Ad. 11/19/2013, Eff. 12/20/2013; SFMTA Bd. Res. No. 180403-049, Ad. 4/3/2018, Eff. 5/4/2018; SFMTA Bd. Res. No. 180717-099, Ad. 7/17/2018, Eff. 8/17/2018)