Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) No person other than an officer of the Police Department, a member of the Fire Department or a person authorized by other applicable laws shall direct or attempt to direct traffic without first obtaining a permit therefor from the Chief of Police, pursuant to this Article.
(b) Applications for funeral escort permits shall be made on a form provided by the Chief of Police, and shall include:
(1) the name and business address of the applicant;
(2) proof of indemnification and insurance as required by Section 388 of this Article;
(3) proof of satisfactory completion of a traffic safety program of instruction, as set forth in Section 393 of this Article;
(4) proof that the applicant holds a valid California vehicle operator's license, properly endorsed for the type of vehicle the applicant intends to use while directing vehicular funeral processions;
(6) such other information as the Chief of Police may require.
(c) The Tax Collector shall issue funeral escort licenses upon payment of an annual license fee, which may be pro rated in the initial year of the license. The license fee shall be paid annually on or before March 31, in accordance with the provisions of Section 76.1 of the Business and Tax Regulations Code. Except pro rated licenses which may be less than one year, funeral escort licenses shall expire one year from the date of issuance unless the permit is revoked sooner. Permits shall be nontransferable.
(Added by Ord. 376-84, App. 8/13/84; amended by Ord. 238-11, File No. 111101, App. 12/15/2011, Eff. 1/14/2012)