Skip to code content (skip section selection)
For the purposes of this Article 38, the following words shall have the following meanings:
"Air Pollutant Exposure Zone" means those areas within the City which, by virtue of their proximity to air pollution emissions sources, including Freeways, have substantially greater concentrations of air pollutants. The Air Pollutant Exposure Zone shall be modeled according to specific risk factors defined in the Rules and Regulations, and will include at a minimum, criteria for maximum allowed excess cancer risks and maximum PM2.5 concentrations; these criteria shall be more stringent in Health Vulnerable Locations, as defined below.
"Building" means a building that contains a "Sensitive Use" and that is either:
(1) a new building; or
(2) a building undergoing a "Major Alteration to Existing Building" as defined by the San Francisco Green Building Code; or
(3) a building undergoing a Planning Department permitted change of use.
"City" means the City and County of San Francisco.
"Department" means the San Francisco Department of Public Health.
"Director" means the Director of the San Francisco Department of Public Health or the Director's designee.
"Enhanced Ventilation" means a ventilation system capable of achieving the protection from particulate matter (PM2.5) equivalent to that associated with a Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV) 13 filtration (as defined by American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) standard 52.2).
"Freeway" refers to freeways as defined in the San Francisco General Plan, Transportation Element.
"Health Vulnerable Locations" means those San Francisco zip codes, census tracts or other defined locations having the highest percentage of health vulnerable residents, based on criteria such as State discharge data from respiratory and cardiovascular related hospitalizations, non-accident mortality, or other criteria as determined by the Director and specified in the Rules and Regulations enacted under this Article.
"PM2.5" means solid particles and liquid droplets found in the air, that are less than or equal to 2.5 micrometers (μm) in diameter.
"Sensitive Use" means:
(1) any building or facility designed for residential use, including but not limited to those defined by City, state or federal law and regulations, excluding Tourist Hotels;
(2) any facility serving specific populations, including but not limited to California Department of Social Services (CDSS)-licensed Adult Day Care Centers, Adult Support Centers, Child Care Centers, Family Child Care Homes, Infant Care Centers, School-Aged Child Care Centers, and Community Treatment Centers;
(3) any California Department of Education (CDE)-licensed schools;
(4) any California Department of Public Health (CDPH)-licensed Health Care Facilities with 24-hour care, except for CDPH-licensed hospitals, which are subject to specific regulations;
(5) any California Building Code Section 305-defined occupancies of Educational Group E;
(6) any California Building Code Section 308-defined occupancies of Institutional Group I; and
(7) any California Building Code Section 310-defined occupancies of Residential Group R.
"Site" means a parcel of land as defined in the San Francisco Building Code.
(Added as Sec. 3803 by Ord. 281-08, File No. 080934, 12/5/2008; redesignated and amended by Ord. 224-14 , File No. 140806, App. 11/7/2014, Eff. 12/7/2014)