Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) A sufficient number of receptacles with close-fitting covers for garbage refuse, ashes and rubbish as may be considered necessary by the Director or the Department of Public Health, or an approved garbage chute or shaft, shall be kept in a clean condition by the following persons:
(1) In the case of a receptacle in a hotel, by the owner or person in charge of the hotel;
(2) In the case of a receptacle in an apartment house or dwelling, by the person in charge of the building, occupants or tenants of the building;
(3) In the case of a chute or shaft in any building, by the person in charge of the building.
(b) Garbage cans in apartment houses and hotels shall be of noncombustible construction. Plastic garbage cans will be acceptable when the following conditions have been met:
(1) The room in which the can(s) are contained is fully sprinklered;
(2) The garbage chute, if any, is sprinklered in accordance with the Building Code;
(3) The garbage can storage room is constructed in accordance with Section of the Building Code.
(Added by Ord. 399-89, App. 11/6/89; amended by Ord. 161-92, App. 6/4/92; Ord. 350-95, App. 11/3/95; Ord. 256-07, App. 11/6/2007)