(a) The membership of the retirement system shall include all employees and officers of the City who are now or who hereafter become employed by the City, except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) of this section.
(b) Persons who have been employed as members of the City Council, Judges of the 68th Judicial District, the City Administrator, appointees of the City Council, appointees of the Ombudsman, and appointees of the Mayor provided for in Sections 4-202 and 4-203 of the Charter of the City of Flint who were members of the retirement system before implementation of the City of Flint Employees Defined Contribution Pension Plan are eligible to remain members of the retirement system.
(c) The membership of the retirement system shall not include:
(1) Any person whose services are compensated on a contractual or fee basis;
(2) Any person whose compensation is less than $1,000.00 a year;
(3) Any person represented by the medical technologist organization at Hurley Medical Center who works less than 80 hours per month;
(4) The Medical Director;
(5) The Actuary;
(6) Members as such of multiple member boards;
(7) School crossing guards who have attained the age of 65 years, or who are precluded from participation in the retirement system as set forth in § 35-69 hereof;
(8) Temporary employees employed by the Hurley Medical Center Board of Hospital Managers, and not represented by a recognized bargaining unit;
(9) Employees hired after the implementation of the City of Flint Employees Defined Contribution Plan who are not members of a recognized bargaining unit, and not employed by the Board of Hospital Managers;
(10) Employees who are not members of a recognized bargaining unit, and not employed by the Board of Hospital Managers, who have elected to terminate their membership in the retirement system under § 35-15.1;
(11) Persons who become employed after implementation of the City of Flint Employees Defined Contribution Pension Plan as members of the City Council, Judges of the 68th Judicial District, the City Administrator, appointees of the City Council, appointees of the Ombudsman, and appointees of the Mayor specifically provided for in Sections 4-202 and 4-203 of the Charter of the City of Flint;
(12) Persons employed in positions that are part-time, seasonal, temporary or provisional; or
(13) Groups of employees employed by the City or the Hurley Board of Managers that leave the retirement system by the express approval of its Finance Director and relevant bargaining unit if any.
(d) Persons who have City service that is precedent to this amendment and that has never been credited either to the system or a deferred compensation plan may, at the same time, and in the same manner as is provided for participation in the retirement system in subsection (c) elect to have the service credited to the system.
(e) Appointed officials serving at the pleasure of the Board of Hospital Managers may, within 30 days of hire or within one year from the effective date of this provision, whichever is last to occur, elect to participate in an alternate plan as approved and established by the Board of Hospital Managers in lieu of participating in the retirement system. The election shall be irrevocable and shall be made in writing in accordance with procedures adopted by the Board of Trustees.
(Ord. 1860, passed 8-16-1965; Ord. 2314, passed 3-13-1972; Ord. 2322, passed 4-10-1972; Ord. 2496, passed 5-19-1975; Ord. 2558, passed 6-14-1976; Ord. 2583, passed 1-17-1977; Ord. 2628, passed 4-10-1978; Ord. 2699, passed 2-26-1979; Ord. 2800, passed 8-10-1981; Ord. 2893, passed 2-13-1984; Ord. 2933, passed 1-28-1985; Ord. 3201, passed 5-11-1992; Ord. 3303, passed 7-24-1995; Ord. 3462, passed 9-25-2000; Ord. 3496, passed 6-10-2002; Ord. 3585, passed 6-24-2004; Ord. 3639, passed 4-11-2005)