(a) Reemployment generally.
(1) In the public interest in time of emergency so declared by the City Council, persons of the following types employed thereunder shall be employed according to civil service procedure as provided for this type of employment, and shall be employed under the applicable provisions thereof.
(2) The Civil Service Commission shall certify to the proper appointing officer of the City department or board involved that requisition has been made for replacement and that no eligible list can be established for the position or positions in which the person is to be employed, proper efforts having been made for recruitment.
(3) Any person so employed by the City may continue in the City service only such period of time until eligible list for the emergency position held by him or her can be established, or until his or her service are held to be unsatisfactory by his or her appointing officer, whichever period time is shorter.
(b) Emergency reemployment of retired members. Any former member of the retirement system who was retired by the Board of Trustees, with or without a retirement allowance, may be reemployed with his or her consent. As a condition of the emergency reemployment of the former retired member by the City:
(1) He or she shall not again become a member of the retirement system and he or she shall not, in any manner, be entitled to any retirement system rights and privileges by virtue of his or her emergency reemployment; and
(2) The payment of his or her retirement allowance, if any, granted him or her upon his or her previous retirement from service shall be suspended and shall not accrue during his or her emergency reemployment, and shall be resumed immediately following the termination of his or her emergency reemployment according to the same conditions, in all respects, as his or her retirement allowance was originally granted; provided, his or her annuity, if any, payable to him or her at the time of termination of his or her the emergency reemployment shall be recomputed upon the basis of:
a. His or her annuity reserve at the time his or her emergency reemployment began;
b. His or her age at the time his or her emergency reemployment terminated; and
c. The option originally elected by him or her.
(c) Emergency employment of over-age personnel. Persons who have attained the age beyond the age of compulsory retirement as provided in § 35-21 may be employed. As a condition of the emergency employment of the over-age person by the City, he or she shall not become a member of the retirement system and he or she shall not, in any manner, be entitled to any retirement system rights and privileges by virtue of the emergency employment.
(Ord. 2496, passed 5-19-1975)