(a) No person, either owner or employee, shall drive a taxicab or motor vehicle for hire in the City without having first obtained a license from the City Clerk. Each applicant for a public driver’s license shall have the following qualifications and comply with the following conditions:
(1) Be of the age of 18 years or over.
(2) Be a resident of the County for at least ninety (90) days preceding the application or having a demonstrated knowledge of the physical layout of the City of Flint.
(3) Be in good physical health, have good eyesight, not be subject to epilepsy, vertigo, heart trouble or any infirmity of body or mind which would render him or her unfit for safe operation of a motor vehicle.
(4) Be able to read and write the English language.
(5) Be of good moral character, clean in dress, person and language and not addicted to the use of intoxicating liquors or drugs.
(6) Shall give for reference as to his good character the names and addresses of two reputable citizens of the City of Flint.
(7) Fill out upon a blank form to be supplied by the office of the City Clerk a statement giving his or her full name, present residence, place of residence for previous five (5) years, age, height, weight, color of eyes and hair, how long he has driven an automobile, whether he or she has ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor or found guilty of the violation of any traffic laws, whether he or she has been licensed previously as a driver or a chauffeur, and if so when and where, whether his or her license has ever been revoked and for what cause. The statement shall be subscribed and sworn to by the applicant and filed with the City Clerk as a permanent record.
(8) Each applicant must file with his or her application two (2) recent photographs of himself/herself of a size that may easily be attached to the license, one (1) of which shall be attached to the license, when issued, and one filed with the application.
(b) The application shall be referred to the City Administrator for investigation and examination as to whether the applicant is worthy, capable, of good moral character and properly qualified by experience to operate and drive a public motor vehicle. As soon as the examination has been completed, the City Administrator shall return the application with his or her report to the City Council.
(c) Upon the approval of the application by the City Council, and upon the payment to the City Clerk of the fee provided herein, the public driver’s license shall be granted to the applicant by the City Clerk.
(d) For each new application or renewal the fee shall be as specified in Chapter 26 of this Code.
(e) The public driver’s license granted shall contain a true photograph of the licensee, the licensee’s name, residence, age, height, weight, color of hair, color of eyes, and his or her signature, and shall be conspicuously displayed on the inside of his vehicle with a light thrown on it at night so it may easily be seen both in the day and night time by occupants of the vehicle.
(f) A full and complete copy of each application filed and each license issued together with record entries of renewals or revocations shall be kept on file in the City Clerk’s office.
(Ord. 347, passed 6-26-1930; Ord. 1322, passed 4-2-1956; Ord. 2337, passed 5-18-1972; Ord. 2834, passed 5-24-1982; Ord. 3085, passed 1-9-1989; Ord. 3783, passed 12-13-2010)