Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Parking For Persons With A Disability At Meters And In Restricted Areas:
1. A person with a disability whose automobile has affixed thereto, as provided by law, the license plate designated for a person with a disability or a transferable motor vehicle identification windshield placard issued by the state of Utah, shall be entitled to park without charge at any parking meter and in time limited parking zones, notwithstanding any other state or municipal parking restriction.
2. It is unlawful for such person with a disability to park for longer than two (2) hours at all meters and time limited zones.
B. Designated Parking For Persons With A Disability: The city transportation engineer is hereby authorized, at his/her discretion to reserve by appropriate signing, various public areas or property for parking for persons with a disability. It is unlawful for:
1. Any person with a disability to park longer than the time shown on the sign designating the area as "parking for persons with a disability"; or
2. Any vehicle to be parked in an area designated as parking for persons with a disability, unless such vehicle has displayed upon it the parking plate designated for persons with a disability or transferable identification windshield placard issued by the state.
C. Unlawful Use Of License Plate For Persons With A Disability: It is unlawful for any person using a vehicle with a license plate designated for persons with a disability or transferable motor vehicle identification windshield placard who is not a person with a disability to use parking designated for persons with a disability.
D. Restricted Areas Not Authorized For Special Parking For Persons With A Disability: Nothing herein shall be construed to permit parking by any individual, contrary to or as an exception to the limited purpose of the following designated areas:
1. Any area where official signs or traffic markings absolutely prohibit stopping, standing or parking;
2. Areas reserved for emergency use. "Emergency use", as used herein, means and shall include, but not be limited to, those areas designated by red curb marking, also known as "red zones" designated as ambulance zones; fire hydrant zones as defined in subsection 12.56.440A5 of this chapter, or its successor; fire lanes, as designated in title 18, chapter 18.44 of this code, or its successor, whether on public or private property; or any other designated area of the city posted as restricted for emergency vehicles or emergency use;
3. On a sidewalk area;
4. In front or within five feet (5') of a driveway;
5. Within ten feet (10') of a driveway, on Mondays through Saturdays (except holidays) between seven o'clock (7:00) A.M. and six o'clock (6:00) P.M., when a mailbox is located within five feet (5') of such driveway;
6. Within an intersection;
7. Within five feet (5') of a fire hydrant, as measured in both directions along the street or highway curb line, from a line extending from the center of the hydrant to the curb line at its nearest point;
8. On a crosswalk;
9. Within twenty feet (20') of a crosswalk at an intersection;
10. Within thirty feet (30') upon the approach to any flashing beacon or traffic control device located at the side of a roadway;
11. Between a safety zone and the adjacent curb, or within thirty feet (30') of points on the curb immediately opposite the ends of a safety zone, unless authorized signs or markings indicate a different length;
12. Within fifty feet (50') of the nearest rail of a railroad crossing;
13. Within twenty feet (20') of the driveway entrance to any fire station, and on the side of a street opposite the entrance when properly signposted;
14. Alongside or opposite any street excavation or obstruction when stopping, standing or parking would obstruct or be hazardous to traffic;
15. Upon any bridge or other elevated structure upon a street, or within a street tunnel or underpass;
16. At any place in any public park, playground or grounds of any public building other than on the roads or parking lots provided for public parking in accordance with provisions of any officially installed signs;
17. On any footpath in any park or playground;
18. Within a fire lane as designated and marked in accordance with the provisions of title 18, chapter 18.44 of this code, or its successor, whether on public or private property;
19. On any median or island, or on any "dividing section", as defined in section 12.44.110 of this title, or its successor;
20. Within fifteen feet (15') of the nearest rail of any light rail track or other railroad track whether on public or private property;
21. Taxi and bus stands or stops;
22. In an area reserved for vehicles that display the appropriate residential parking permit;
23. In an area which is reserved for vehicles with a freight permit; or
24. In an area that requires the driver to remain with the vehicle at all times. (Ord. 9-17, 2017)