(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a horse drawn carriage within the City without having a valid horse drawn carriage driver’s license from the City Clerk and that person has been found to comply with all the requirements of the laws of the State and shall have been certified by the Police Department as an authorized person to operate a vehicle.
(b) Each applicant for a horse drawn carriage driver’s license must meet the following requirements:
(1) Have a valid State operator’s license;
(2) Be at least eighteen (18) years of age;
(3) Have good eyesight, be in good physical condition and not be subject to any infirmity of body or mind which might render him or her unfit for the safe operation of the vehicle;
(4) Be able to sufficiently speak and write the English language to carry out the duties required of a licensed horse drawn carriage driver;
(5) Be clean in dress and not addicted to the use of drugs or intoxicating liquors;
(6) Be a person of good character.
(c) Each applicant for a horse drawn carriage driver’s license shall satisfactorily establish that he or she knows:
(1) The applicable traffic regulations;
(2) The geography of appropriate routes; and
(3) Has mastered the proper care, handling and driving of carriage horses.
(d) The applicants shall be approved by the Chief of Police or his or her designee after demonstrating their ability to operate a horse drawn carriage in a safe and prudent manner, including the following:
(1) Understanding the proper method of fitting a harness to a horse and hitching and unhitching a properly harnessed horse to a carriage;
(2) Understanding the proper handling and driving of a horse drawn carriage;
(Ord. 3783, passed 12-13-2010)