(Renumbered by Ord. No. 148,969, Eff. 12/16/76.)
The following regulations shall apply in the “M1” Limited Industrial Zone:
A. Use. (Amended by Ord. No. 173,492, Eff. 10/10/00.) No building, structure or land shall be used and no building or structure shall be erected, structurally altered, enlarged or maintained, except for the following uses, and when a “Supplemental Use District” is created, for those uses as may be permitted in that district:
1. Any use permitted in the MR1 Zone provided that all regulations of the zone are complied with, except that front yard setbacks are not required.
2. Any commercial use permitted in the C2 Zone except sanitariums and hospitals, provided that these uses are conducted in accordance with all building enclosure and fence enclosure limitations of the C2 Zone. Pet Shops in the M1 Zone or less restrictive zones are not required to comply with the standards listed in Section 12.14 A.1.(b)(4). (Amended by Ord. No. 186,372, Eff. 12/10/19.)
3. The following uses when conducted wholly within a completely enclosed building, except for incidental storage.
(a) Foundry, except iron or brass; or those in which noxious fumes or odors are produced.
(b) Poultry or rabbit killing incidental to a retail business on the same premises.
(c) Rental of equipment commonly used by contractors, including rental, storage, or storage for rental purposes of household moving rental trucks and utility rental trailers or commercial vehicles of any weight.
4. Stadiums, arenas, auditoriums and the like, having a seating capacity of more than 3,000 people.
5. Other uses similar to the above, as provided for in Section 12.21A2, but not including uses which are or may become obnoxious or offensive by reason of omission of odor, dust, smoke, noise, gas, fumes, cinders, vibration, refuse matter or water-carried waste, as determined by a Zoning Administrator.
6. Uses customarily incident to any of the above uses, and accessory buildings when located on the same lot, provided:
(a) A dwelling shall be considered to be a permissible accessory building when it is designed for and used solely by a watchman or caretaker (including his or her family) of an industrial development or of a permitted use that requires a 24-hour supervision, and is located on the same lot with the development or use;
(b) Open storage of materials and equipment, including used materials and equipment, shall be permitted only within an area enclosed on all sides with a solid wall or fence, no less than six feet in height with necessary solid gates of the same height.
The phrase “used materials and equipment” includes vehicles, boats, or airplanes which are inoperable, wrecked, damaged or unlicensed, i.e., not currently licensed by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
7. Automobile parking spaces required for dwellings and for buildings other than dwellings, as provided for in Section 12.21A4.
8. Official Police Garages as designated by the Los Angeles Police Commission for the storage of impounded, abandoned or partially dismantled automobiles, subject to the following limitations:
(a) the use is located 300 feet or more from property in an A or R zone;
(b) the use is conducted wholly within an area completely enclosed with a solid masonry wall or solid fence no less than eight feet in height with necessary solid gates of the same height;
(c) no dismantling of vehicles or crushing, smashing, baling or reduction of metal takes place on the premises;
(d) all property adjacent to any street is landscaped to a minimum depth of two feet measured at a right angle from the adjacent street, and extending the full length of property contiguous to the street except for area necessary for ingress and egress; and
(e) paved off-street parking spaces are provided for buildings as required by Section 12.21 A, and in addition for all other portions of the lot, other than public parking areas, as follows:
(1) for one or fewer acres, a minimum of six spaces;
(2) for more than one acre but not more than two acres, one space for each 12,000 square feet of lot area; and
(3) for each acre exceeding two acres, one space for each acre of lot area; and
(f) no material shall be stored to a height greater than the height of the enclosing wall or fence.
9. Indoor swap meets when authorized pursuant to the provisions of Section 12.24 W.42.
10. Storage buildings for household goods, including truck rentals, provided the building or structure is more than 500 feet from an A or R Zone or residential use as measured from the lot lines, and the building or structure is no more than 37 feet in height. (Added by Ord. No. 173,979, Eff. 6/29/01.)
11. Wireless telecommunication facilities, including radio and television transmitters, which meet all the requirements of the wireless telecommunication facilities standards set forth in Section 12.21 A.20. of this Code, except when located across the street from, abutting, or adjoining a residential use or A or R Zone, including the RA zone. (Added by Ord. No. 174,132, Eff. 9/3/01.)
12. Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 12.22 A.28. of this Code to the contrary, a primary used automobile and trailer sales area, provided that the automobile and trailer sales area is located and developed in compliance with the provisions of Section 12.21 A.6. of this Code, and that any incidental repair of automobiles or trailers is conducted wholly within a building. (Added by Ord. No. 178,382, Eff. 3/24/07.)
13. (Added by Ord. No. 178,382, Eff. 3/24/07.) Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 12.22 A.28. of this Code to the contrary, automotive repair, provided that all of the following conditions are met:
(a) The lot containing the automotive repair use is located more than 500 feet from any school, lot with a Certificate of Occupancy for a one-family dwelling, multiple-family dwelling, or mixed use project containing a residential use, or an A or R zone. If the lot is located 500 feet or less from any school, lot with a Certificate of Occupancy for a one-family dwelling, multiple-family dwelling, or mixed use project containing a residential use, or an A or R zone, automotive repair is prohibited unless approved pursuant to the provisions of Section 12.24 W.4. of this Code.
(b) All automotive spray painting shall be conducted in full compliance with the provisions of Article 7, Chapter V of this Code, regulating these installations; provided further, that any spray painting shall be done within a building.
(c) All other operations shall be conducted wholly within a building enclosed on at least three sides, except for the following activities, which may be conducted within the first 18 feet in depth in front of the garage bay door measured perpendicular to the entire length of the building wall containing a garage bay door, provided that this area does not displace any required parking:
(1) electrical diagnostics;
(2) battery charging and changing;
(3) tire removal and replacement, so long as the vehicle is elevated no more that 12 inches off the ground measured to the bottom of the tire. A portable hoist may be used for this function only.
(d) Except as provided in Paragraph (c)(3) above, automotive hoists, of any type or size, shall be located and operated only inside a building enclosed on at least three sides.
(e) A minimum of 500 square feet of storage area shall be provided (open storage shall comply with Section 12.14 A.42. of this Code);
(f) Notwithstanding Paragraphs (a) and (c) of this subdivision, an automotive sound shop or automotive alarm shop shall be permitted if it complies with the following:
(1) all operations are wholly conducted within a fully enclosed building; and
(2) no portion of the building or its associated parking area shall be within 50 feet of any school, lot with a Certificate of Occupancy for a one-family dwelling, multiple-family dwelling, or mixed use project containing a residential use, or an A or R zoned lot.
14. (Added by Ord. No. 178,382, Eff. 3/24/07.) Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 12.22 A.28. of this Code to the contrary, automotive laundry or wash rack, in which power driven or steam cleaning machinery is used or any coin-operated automotive laundry or wash rack.
(c) Every wash rack shall be constructed or arranged so that entrances, exits, and openings shall not face any residentially zoned property within 100 feet of the entrances, exits or openings.
B. Restriction. (Amended by Ord. No. 173,268, Eff. 7/1/00, Oper. 7/1/00.) For any lot designated as Public, Quasi-Public, Public/Quasi-Public Use, Other Public, or Open Space on the land use map of the applicable community or district plan; any lot shown on the map as having existing lakes, waterways, reservoirs, debris basins, or similar facilities; any lot shown on the map as the location of a freeway right-of-way; and any property annexed to the City of Los Angeles where a plan amendment was not adopted as part of the annexation proceedings:
Any of the uses permitted by Subsection A. of this section shall require prior approval in accordance with the provisions of Section 12.24.1 of this Code.
C. Area – No building or structure nor the enlargement of any building or structure shall be hereafter erected or maintained unless the following yard and lot areas are provided and maintained in connection with such building, structure or enlargement:
1. Front Yard – Not required.
2. Side Yard – Side yard conforming to the requirements of the “R4” Zone (Sec. 12.11 C.2.) shall be provided and maintained in connection with buildings erected and used principally for residential purposes.
3. Rear Yard – No rear yard shall be required for buildings erected a used exclusively for commercial or industrial purposes. For buildings other than those erected and used exclusively for commercial or industrial purposes, a rear yard conforming to the requirements of the “R4” Zone (Sec. 12.11 C.3.) shall be provided and maintained at the floor level of the first story used in whole or in part for dwelling purposes.
4. Lot Area – The lot area requirement of the “R4” Zone (Sec. 12.11 C.4.) shall apply to buildings erected and used exclusively for dwelling purposes. For buildings other than those erected and used exclusively for dwelling purpose such requirements shall apply only to that portion of a building used for dwelling purposes.
5. Loading Space – as required by Sec. 12.21 C.6.
Exception to Area relations are provided for in Sec. 12.22 C.