The following regulations shall apply in the “M3” Heavy Industrial Zone.
A. Use (Amended by Ord. No. 184,246, Eff. 6/4/16.) – No building, structure or land shall be used and no structure shall be erected, structurally altered, enlarged or maintained, except for the following uses, and, when a “Supplemental Use District” is created by the provisions of Article 3 of this chapter, for such uses as may be permitted therein:
1. Any use permitted in the “M2” zone, except the following: (Amended by Ord. No. 163,073, Eff. 1/30/88.)
(a) Any building, structure or portion thereof permitted in any R Zone, other than accessory buildings which are incident to the use of the land, unless approved pursuant to the provisions of Section 12.24. (Amended by Ord. No. 145,474, Eff. 3/2/74.)
(b) Any building containing dwelling units or guest rooms.
(c) Hospitals or sanitariums, except animal hospitals. (Amended by Ord. No. 145,250, Eff. 12/24/73.)
(d) The open air sale of merchandise from a privately owned vacant lot or drive-in theater. (Amended by Ord. No. 156,684, Eff. 6/19/82.)
(e) (Amended by Ord. No. 173,492, Eff. 10/10/00.) Indoor swap meets, unless authorized pursuant to the provisions of Section 12.24 W.42.
2. Acetylene gas manufacture or storage.
3. Alcohol manufacture.
4. Ammonia, bleaching powder, or chlorine manufacture.
5. The following uses when conducted in accordance with the limitations hereafter specified.
(a) Types of uses. (Amended by Ord. No. 152,770, Eff. 9/15/79.)
(1) Automobile dismantling yard.
(2) Junk yard.
(3) Storage, display, processing or sales of second-hand furniture and appliances.
(4) Scrap metal processing yard.
(5) The open storage of material and equipment, including used materials and equipment. The phrase “used materials and equipment” includes vehicles, boats, or airplanes which are inoperable, wrecked damaged or unlicensed. i.e. not currently licensed by the Department of Motor Vehicles. (Added by Ord. No. 162,335, Eff. 6/6/87.)
(6) Cargo container storage yard, when established and operated in conformance with the standards contained in Section 12.21 A.22. of this Code. (Added by Ord. No. 177,244, Eff. 2/18/06.)
(b) Limitations. The uses set forth in Paragraph (a) above, except for cargo container storage yards when established and operated in conformance with the standards contained in Section 12.21 A.22. of this Code, are subject to the following limitations: (Amended by Ord. No. 177,244, Eff. 2/18/06.)
(1) Notwithstanding any provision of Section 12.23 C.6. of this Code, from and after August 25, 1970, all of the uses described in Paragraph (a) of this subdivision in the “M3” Zone shall be conducted wholly within an enclosed building, or shall be completely enclosed with a solid wall or solid fence not less than eight feet in height with necessary solid gates of like height.
(2) Where a required wall or fence has been erected between the area wherein the use is conducted and a street, no material is stored to a height greater than that of such wall or fence within 50 feet thereof unless the height of the wall or fence is 10 feet or more in which case the distance within which no material may be stored above the height of the wall or fence shall be 37 feet. Provided, however, that a scrap metal processing yard that is entirely located at least 500 feet from a more restrictive zone, is exempt from the above stacking limitations.
(3) Paved off-street parking spaces have been provided as specified in Section 12.19 A.4.(b)(4).
(4) Landscaping is provided as specified in Section 12.19 A.4.(b)(5).
Any of the uses enumerated in Section 12.20 A.5., located on land which is entirely separated from a more restrictive zone in the City of Los Angeles by a body of water at least 500 feet wide shall be exempt from the foregoing enclosure limitations.
(c) Compliance. Any use lawfully existing in the M3 Zone to which Paragraph (b) of this subdivision is applicable shall be completely removed from such zone within one year unless said use has been made to comply with that regulation. Provided, however, that upon a showing that substantial compliance has been effected, the Director of Planning may grant an extension of time to complete the work necessary to effect compliance. No extension so granted shall exceed six months in duration, nor shall more than one such extension be granted with respect to any individual use. (Amended by Ord. No. 145,040, Eff. 10/15/73,)
6. Blast furnace or coke oven.
7. Boiler works.
8. Brick, tile or terra cotta manufacture.
9. Chemical manufacture.
10. Concrete or cement products manufacture in the open.
11. Cotton gin or oil mill.
12. Fish smoking, curing or canning.
13. Freight classification yard.
14. Iron or steel foundry or fabrication plant and heavyweight casting.
15. Lamp black manufacture.
16. Oilcloth or linoleum manufacture.
17. Oil drilling and production of oil, gas or hydrocarbons, except that oil drilling and production of oil, gas and hydrocarbons within 500 feet of a more restrictive zone shall be subject to the provisions of Subsection A and H of Section 13.01 of this article. (Amended by Ord. No. 116,820, Eff. 9/26/60.)
18. Ore reduction.
19. Paint, oil (including linseed), shellac, turpentine, lacquer or varnish manufacture.
20. Paper and pulp manufacture.
21. Petroleum products manufacture.
22. Plastic manufacture.
23. Potash works.
24. Pyroxyline manufacture.
25. Quarry or stone mill.
26. Railroad repair shops.
27. Rock, sand or gravel distribution; surface mining operations subject to the restrictions provided in Section 13.03. (Amended by Ord. No. 155,950, Eff. 12/5/81.)
28. Rolling mills.
29. Rubber or gutta-percha manufacture or treatment.
30. Salt works.
31. Soap manufacture.
32. Sodium compounds manufacture.
33. Stove or shoe polish manufacture.
34. Tar distillation or tar products manufacture.
35. Wool pulling or scoring.
36. And in general those uses which may be obnoxious or offensive by reason of emission of odor, dust, smoke, gas, noise, vibration, and the like; provided, however, that none of the following uses shall be located nearer than five hundred (500) feet to a more restricted zone.
(a) Acid manufacture.
(b) Automobile, equine or motorcycle race track. (Amended by Ord. No. 157,144, Eff. 11/22/82.)
(c) Cement, lime, gypsum or plaster of paris manufacture.
(d) Distillation of bones.
(e) Drop forge industries manufacturing forgings with power hammers.
(f) Explosives, manufacture or storage, subject to other provisions of this Code. (Amended by Ord. No. 111,587, Eff. 8/9/58.)
(h) Fertilizer manufacture.
(i) Garbage, offal, or dead animal dumping. (Added by Ord. No. 158,939, Eff. 6/21/84.)
(j) Gas manufacture.
(k) Glue manufacture.
(l) Petroleum refining.
(m) Smelting of tin, copper, zinc or iron ores.
(n) Stock yards or feeding pens.
(p) Tannery or the curing or storage of raw hides.
37. Uses customarily incident to any of the above uses and accessory buildings when located on the same lot.
38. Automobile parking space, for buildings other than dwellings, as required by Sec. 12.21 A.4.
B. Restriction. (Amended by Ord. No. 173,268, Eff. 7/1/00, Oper. 7/1/00.) For any lot designated as Public, Quasi-Public, Public/Quasi-Public Use, Other Public, or Open Space on the land use map of the applicable community or district plan; any lot shown on the map as having existing lakes, waterways, reservoirs, debris basins, or similar facilities; any lot shown on the map as the location of a freeway right-of-way; and any property annexed to the City of Los Angeles where a plan amendment was not adopted as part of the annexation proceedings:
Any of the uses permitted by Subsection A. of this section shall require prior approval in accordance with the provisions of Section 12.24.1 of this Code.
C. Loading Space – No building or structure, nor the enlargement of any building or structure, shall be erected or maintained unless a loading space conforming to the provisions of Sec. 12.21 C.6. is provided and maintained in connection with such building, structure or enlargement.