The following regulations shall apply to the “C1” Limited Commercial Zone:
A. Use – No building, structure or land shall be used and no building or structure shall be erected, structurally altered. enlarged or maintained, except for the following uses, and when a “Supplemental Use District” is created by the provisions of Article 3 of this chapter, for such uses as may be permitted therein:
1. Any use permitted in the CR Limited Commercial Zone but not including a church, educational institution, museum or school (elementary or high), provided that all the regulations of said CR zone are complied with except as provided in this section. Any residential use permitted in the R3 Multiple Residential Zone provided that all the regulations of said R3 zone are complied with except as provided in this section. (Amended by Ord. No. 157,994, Eff. 9/25/82.)
1.5. Hotels (including motels), apartment hotels or hostels when no portion of a structure proposed to be used as a hotel (including a motel), apartment hotel or hostel is located within 500 feet from any A or R zone. (Amended by Ord. No. 185,931, Eff. 7/1/19.)
2. (Amended by Ord. No. 140,726, Eff. 9/3/70.) The following retail stores, shops or businesses when conducted in accordance with the limitations hereafter specified:
(a) Types of Uses:
(1) Bakery goods shop;
(3) Barber shop or beauty parlor;
(4) Book or stationery store;
(5) Clothes cleaning agency or pressing establishment;
(6) Clubs or lodges, bridge clubs, fraternal or religious associations; (Amended by Ord. No. 144,365, Eff. 4/5/73, Oper. 9/1/73.)
(7) Confectionery store;
(8) Custom dressmaking or millinery store;
(10) Dry goods or notions store;
(11) Florist or gift shop;
(12) Grocery, fruit or vegetable store;
(13) Hospital, sanitarium or clinics (except animal hospitals). (Amended by Ord. No. 177,325, Eff. 3/18/06.)
(14) Hardware or electric appliance store;
(15) Jewelry store;
(16) Laundry agency;
(17) Meat market or delicatessen store;
(18) Office, business or professional;
(20) Restaurant, tea room or cafe (excluding dancing or entertainment). Restaurants with drive-through service that adjoin or are across the street from or separated only by an alley from any portion of a lot in a residential zone or use or in an RA Zone, shall be subject to the conditional use requirements of Section 12.24 W.17. (Amended by Ord. No. 173,492, Eff. 10/10/00.)
(21) Shoe store or shoe repair store;
(22) Tailor, clothing or wearing apparel shop;
(23) Laundries or cleaning establishments of a self-service type using only automatic machines with non-flammable cleaning fluid; (Added by Ord. No. 140,726, Eff. 9/4/70.)
(24) Other uses similar to the above list when determined as provided for in Section 12.21 A.2.; (Added by Ord. No. 140,726, Eff. 9/4/70.)
(25) Uses (not involving storage) customarily incident to any of the above- named uses and accessory buildings (including storage garages) when located on the same lot. Automobile parking space required in connection with permitted uses as provided for in Section 12.21 A.4.
(26) (Amended by Ord. No. 173,754, Eff. 3/5/01.) Indoor swap meets when authorized pursuant to the provisions of Section 12.24 W.42.
(27) Joint living and work quarters for the following occupations: accountants; architects; artists and artisans; attorneys; computer software and multimedia related professionals; consultants; engineers; fashion, graphic, interior and other designers; insurance, real estate and travel agents; photographers and other similar occupations as determined by the Zoning Administrator, provided that the commercial uses are permitted by the underlying zone. (First Sentence Amended by Ord. No. 172,572, Eff. 6/3/99.) For all existing buildings, the yards required shall be the same as the yards observed by the existing structures on the site. For an existing building, for which a building permit was issued before April 1, 1994, and which contains no more than eight living and work quarters, the number of parking spaces required shall be the same as the number of spaces existing on the site. All other buildings used for this purpose must meet the parking and yard requirements for residential buildings. (Added by Ord. No. 169,670, Eff. 5/13/94.)
(28) Facilities for the development of software (including the reproduction of software and data) and other computer and media-related products and services, not including hardware. (Added by Ord. No. 172,106, Eff. 8/14/98.)
(29) Skilled Nursing Care Housing. (Added by Ord. No. 178,063, Eff. 12/30/06.)
(30) Alzheimer's/Dementia Care Housing. (Added by Ord. No. 178,063, Eff. 12/30/06.)
(31) Eldercare Facility. (Added by Ord. No. 178,063, Eff. 12/30/06.)
(1) (Amended by Ord. No. 173,492, Eff. 10/10/00.) All merchandise shall be new and shall be sold at retail only, unless the sale of the merchandise is authorized in an indoor swap meet pursuant to the provisions of Section 12.24 W.42.
(2) All activities are conducted wholly within an enclosed building, except that ground floor restaurants may have outdoor eating areas. An outdoor eating area for a ground floor restaurants may be located anywhere between the building and its required front yard, or between the building and any required side or rear yard which side or rear yard abuts a public street. (Amended by Ord. No. 165,403, Eff. 2/17/90.)
(3) All products produced, whether primary or incidental, are sold on the premises, and not more than five persons are engaged in such production or in servicing of materials. (Amended by Ord. No. 144,365, Eff. 4/5/73, Oper. 9/1/73.)
(4) Any exterior sign is attached to a building, does not extend more than two feet beyond the wall of the building, and does not project above the roof ridge or parapet wall (whichever is higher) of the building.
(5) (Added by Ord. No. 174,097, Eff. 8/26/01.) All retail stores, shops or businesses shall be limited to less than 100,000 square feet of floor area. This limitation shall apply to the cumulative sum of related or successive permits that are a part of a larger project, such as piecemeal additions to a building, or multiple buildings on a lot or adjacent lots, as determined by the Director of Planning.
B. Restriction. (Amended by Ord. No. 173,268, Eff. 7/1/00, Oper. 7/1/00.) For any lot designated as Public, Quasi-Public, Public/Quasi-Public Use, Other Public, or Open Space on the land use map of the applicable community or district plan; any lot shown on the map as having existing lakes, waterways, reservoirs, debris basins, or similar facilities; any lot shown on the map as the location of a freeway right-of-way; and any property annexed to the City of Los Angeles where a plan amendment was not adopted as part of the annexation proceedings:
Any of the uses permitted by Subsection A of this section shall require prior approval in accordance with the provisions of Section 12.24.1 of this Code.
C. Area. (Amended by Ord. No. 144,365, Eff. 4/5/73, Oper. 9/1/73.) No building or structure nor the enlargement of any building or structure, shall be erected and maintained unless the following yards, lot areas and loading spaces are provided and maintained in connection with such building, structure or enlargement.
In applying the provisions of this section, the front lot line of a corner lot shall be the line separating the lot from the principal street upon which it abuts. Where said lot abuts upon a major or secondary highway such highway shall be construed as being the principal street. Where a lot abuts upon two or more highways, and in all other cases, a Zoning Administrator shall determine which street is the principal street.
1. Front Yard. There shall be a front yard of not less than 10 feet in depth.
2. Side Yards. Side yards shall be required only in the following instances:
(a) Along the side street lot line of every corner lot in the C1 Zone.
(b) Where the side lot line of the lot in the C1 Zone abuts upon the side of a lot in an A or R Zone.
(c) For all portions of buildings erected and used for residential purposes.
The width of such required side yard shall not be less than 10 percent of the lot width, but need not exceed five feet and shall not be less than three feet in width. Provided, however, that one foot shall be added to the width of the required side yard for each additional story above the second story, but such side yard need not exceed 16 feet in width.
In all other cases, a side yard for a commercial building shall not be required, but if provided, it shall not be less than three feet in width.
3. Rear Yard. A rear yard shall be provided only in the following instances:
(a) Where the rear of the lot in the C1 Zone abuts upon a lot in an A or R Zone.
(b) For all portions of buildings erected and used for residential purposes. Such yard shall be provided and maintained at and above the floor level of the lowest story designed or used for residential purposes, and the full height of the building shall be used in computing the required depth of rear yard.
The depth of such required rear yard shall be not less than 15 feet. One foot shall be added to the depth of such rear yard for each additional story above the third story, but such rear yard need not exceed 20 feet in depth.
4. Lot Area. The lot area requirements of the R3 Zone (Section 12.10 C.4.) shall apply to all portions of buildings erected and used for residential purposes. Provided, however, that where the lot is in the “H” Hillside or Mountainous Area, there shall be not more than one dwelling unit for each 5,000 square feet of lot area.