The following regulations shall apply in the “C5” Commercial Zone:
A. Use — No building, structure or land shall be used and no building or structure shall be erected, structurally altered, enlarged or maintained, except for the following uses, and, when a “Supplemental Use District” is created by the provisions of Article 3 of this chapter, for such uses as may be permitted therein:
1. Any use permitted in the “C2” Zone, provided that all regulations of said zone are complied with;
2. Jewelry manufacturing, including manufacturing of products from precious or semi-precious stones or metals. (Amended by Ord. No. 154,899, Eff. 3/22/81.)
3. (Amended by Ord. No. 162,335, Eff. 6/6/87.) Uses customarily incident to any of the above uses, and accessory buildings, when located on the same lot. Open storage of materials and equipment, including used materials and equipment, shall be permitted only when incidental to the use of an office, store or other commercial building located on the front portion of the same lot, and provided that:
(a) Such storage is located on the rear one-half of the lot and is confined to an area of not to exceed three thousand (3,000) square feet;
(b) No power driven excavating or road building equipment is stored on the premises;
(c) The storage area is completely enclosed by a solid wall or fence not less than six feet in height with necessary solid gates of the same height; and
(d) No material or equipment is stored to a height greater than that of the wall or fence enclosing the storage area.
The phrase “used materials and equipment” includes vehicles, boats, or airplanes which are inoperable, wrecked, damaged or unlicensed, i.e. not currently licensed by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
4. Automobile parking space required for dwellings and for buildings other than dwellings, as provided for in Section 12.21 A.4.
B. Restriction. (Amended by Ord. No. 173,268, Eff. 7/1/00, Oper. 7/1/00.) For any lot designated as Public, Quasi-Public, Public/Quasi-Public Use, Other Public, or Open Space on the land use map of the applicable community or district plan; any lot shown on the map as having existing lakes, waterways, reservoirs, debris basins, or similar facilities; any lot shown on the map as the location of a freeway right-of-way; and any property annexed to the City of Los Angeles where a plan amendment was not adopted as part of the annexation proceedings:
Any of the uses permitted by Subsection A. of this section shall require prior approval in accordance with the provisions of Section 12.24.1 of this Code.
C. Area. (Amended by Ord. No. 144,365, Eff. 4/5/73, Oper. 9/1/73.) No building or structure nor the enlargement of any building or structure shall be hereafter erected or maintained unless the following yards, lot areas and loading spaces are provided and maintained in connection with such building, structure or enlargement:
1. Yards – Not required for buildings erected and used exclusively for commercial purposes;
For all portions of buildings erected and used for residential purposes, side and rear yards conforming to the requirements of the R4 Zone (Section 12.11 C.2. and 3.) shall be provided and maintained at the floor level of the first story used for residential purposes.
2. Lot Area – The lot area requirements of the R4 Zone (Section 12.11 C.4.) shall apply to all portions of buildings erected and used for residential purposes. (Amended by Ord. No. 148,783, Eff. 10/13/76.)