Land classified as a “P” Zone may also be classified in either an “A” or “R” Zone. The following regulations shall apply to the “P” Automobile Parking Zone:
A. Use – No building, structure or land shall be used and no building or structure shall be erected, structurally altered, enlarged, or maintained, except for the following uses, and, when a “Supplemental Use District” is created by the provisions of Article 3 of this chapter, for such uses as may be permitted therein:
1. Public or private parking areas (subject to the regulations of Section 12.21-A,5 and 6), including the use of such parking areas for ingress to and egress from adjoining buildings. (Amended by Ord. No. 144,082, Eff. 12/11/72.)
2. Parking buildings which are located entirely below the natural or finished grade of the lot whichever is lower, and are designed to be obscured from view, including parking buildings which are attached to or integrated with buildings in other zones. Ducts and penthouses enclosing ventilating equipment, if not closer than 50 feet to an A or R Zone, stair shafts and guard railings around depressed ramps, may be located not to exceed 4 feet above grade. (Amended by Ord. No. 117,399, Eff. 12/4/60.)
3. (Amended by Ord. No. 140,890, Eff. 10/17/70.) — The following signs located on a public parking area or parking building:
(a) Internal traffic directional signs indicating entrance or exit at each permitted driveway. Not more than two such signs shall be permitted at each driveway nor shall any such sign have a surface area in excess of six square feet.
(b) Identification signs displaying only the names of the operators or sponsors of the parking area (including customary emblems or trademarks), the hours of operation and the parking charges made in accordance with the following regulations:
(1) On any lot there may be one such sign not exceeding 25 square feet in area adjacent to any one street, except when required by Sec. 103.202 of this Code. Such sign shall not be located within 30 feet of an A or R Zone.
(2) On a lot having at least 100 feet of frontage along a major or secondary highway in lieu of the sign permitted by Subparagraph (1), there may be an identification sign, the size of which shall be calculated at a ratio of .25 square feet of sign area for each foot of said frontage for the first 100 feet; at a ratio of.50 square feet of sign area for each foot of said frontage beyond the initial 100 feet and up to a total of 200 feet of frontage; and at a ratio of .75 square feet of sign area for each foot of said frontage beyond 200 feet and up to a total of 300 feet of frontage. In no case shall this sign exceed 150 square feet in area, in which, if applicable, advertising may be placed on both a front and back side; a dimension greater than 15 feet on any one side; and on an overall height of 30 feet. Such sign shall not be located within 50 feet of an A or R Zone, and not more than one such sign may be located on any one lot frontage. Said sign may be of a pylon type providing that the combined area of all individual identification plaques do not exceed that allowed for the total lot frontage. Where such identification sign is directly opposite and across the street from an A or R Zone, all lettering and identifying matter shall be placed on a face of the sign which is at right angles to the lot line abutting the highway at the nearest point to the sign.
All signs permitted in the P Zone may be illuminated but shall comply with the requirements set forth in Sec. 62.200 of this Code and shall not contain any flashing, moving or animated parts or features.
(3) All such signs abutting a major or secondary highway or a local street shall be placed clear of the ultimate street dedication line determined in accordance with the current Standard Street Dimensions adopted by the City Planning Commission.
(4) Where the sign area has been previously determined and the lot frontage subsequently altered either by sale, division of land, or other means, a new determination based on the new lot frontages must be made by the Department of City Planning for allowable sign areas in accordance with the provisions of this section. Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any existing signs which are in excess of the size limitations contained in this section may be maintained, provided that the owner or owners of record of all lots whose frontages were included in the original frontage, record in the office of the County Recorder a covenant or covenants, running with the land, in which said owner or owners agree to erect no new signs until the existing signs which are in excess of the size limitations contained in this section have been removed or are made to conform to said size limitations. A copy of said recorded covenant or covenants shall be filed with the Department of Building and Safety by said owner or owners. Further, if said covenant or covenants are not recorded, any existing signs which are in excess of the size limitations contained in this section must be removed or made to conform to said size limitations within six months of the date on which the frontage was altered. In addition, the applicant shall advise the Superintendent of Building and Safety in writing within six months that the existing signs which are in excess of the size limitations have been removed.
EXCEPTION: (Amended by Ord. No. 173,268, Eff. 7/1/00, Oper. 7/1/00.)
The foregoing provisions shall not apply in those instances where a sign island of C2 Zone has been established within a P-zoned area by means of a zone change and/or the zone boundary adjustment procedure. In those instances, no building permits for the erection of signs in the surrounding P Zone shall be issued without prior determination and authorization by the Director of Planning in cases involving zone boundary adjustments, and for cases involving a zone change, the City Planning Commission or the Area Planning Commission pursuant to Section 12.32.
4. Uses customarily incident to the operation of a public parking area, including parking guard or attendant shelters. There may be one such shelter on each public parking area, and one additional shelter for each 300 feet of street frontage in excess of 300 feet. No such shelter shall have a floor area in excess of 50 square feet. Such shelter shall not be located within 15 feet of any street, in any required yard area, not within 30 feet of an A or R Zone. (Added by Ord. No. 117,399, Eff. 12/4/60.)
5. Where a lot in a P Zone is also classified in an A or R Zone, such lot may be used either for any purpose permitted in such A or R Zone, or for any purpose enumerated in this subsection but in no event for both purposes. (Added by Ord. No. 117,399, Eff. 12/4/60.)
6. (Amended by Ord. No. 134,633, Eff. 7/17/67.) Where a combination of the C and P Zones has been established on a lot, a sign or cantilevered canopy, which is permitted on the C Zone portion and is attached to a building thereon, may project not more than 15 feet into the P Zone, provided that such sign or cantilevered canopy is at least eight feet above the subjacent walkway or established grade and that no vertical supports are located in the P Zone.
Where an automobile service station development is to be located on property part of which is in a “C” Zone and part of which is in a “P” Zone, the underground storage tanks which are incidental to the service station my be located in the “P” Zone, and the temporary parking of trucks for purposes of servicing such tanks may be permitted in the “P” Zone.
7. Conditional uses as allowed pursuant to Section 12.24 W.49. of this Code when the location is approved pursuant to the provisions of that section. (Added by Ord. No. 174,132, Eff. 9/3/01.)
B. Restriction. (Amended by Ord. No. 173,268, Eff. 7/1/00, Oper. 7/1/00.) For any lot designated as Public, Quasi-Public, Public/Quasi-Public Use, Other Public, or Open Space on the land use map of the applicable community or district plan; any lot shown on the map as having existing lakes, waterways, reservoirs, debris basins, or similar facilities; any lot shown on the map as the location of a freeway right-of-way; and any property annexed to the City of Los Angeles where a plan amendment was not adopted as part of the annexation proceedings:
Any of the uses permitted by Subsection A of this section shall require prior approval in accordance with the provisions of Section 12.24.1 of this Code.
C. Area. Where a lot in a “P” zone is also classified as an “A” or “R” Zone, the area regulations of such “A” or “R” Zone shall apply, except that for a public parking area the front yard may be as provided for in Section 12.21 A.6.(a) of this Code. (Amended by Ord. No. 152,467, Eff. 7/14/79.)