The following regulations shall apply in the “R3” Multiple Dwelling Zone:
A. Use – No building, structure or land shall be used and no building or structure shall be erected, structurally altered, enlarged, or maintained, except for the following uses, and, when a “Supplemental Use District” is created by the provisions of Article 3 of this chapter, for such uses as may be permitted therein:
1. Any use permitted in the “R2” Two–family Zone.
2. Group dwellings.
3. Multiple dwellings.
4. Apartment houses. (Added by Ord. No. 107,884, Eff. 9/23/56.)
5. Boarding houses, rooming houses or light housekeeping rooms. (Amended by Ord. No. 113,548, Eff. 6/28/59.)
5.5. Child care facilities for not more than 20 children. (Added by No. 145,474, Eff. 3/2/74.)
6. Accessory uses and home occupations, subject to the conditions specified in Section 12.05 A.16. of this Code. (Amended by Ord. No. 171,427, Eff. 1/4/97, Oper. 3/5/97.)
8. Accessory buildings – Same as R1 Zone – Sec. 12.08 A. (Amended by Ord. No. 107,884, Eff. 9/23/56.)
9. (Deleted by Ord. No. 171,427, Eff. 1/4/97, Oper. 3/5/97.)
10. Name plates and signs, and required automobile parking spaces as provided for in Section 12.21 A. of this Code. (Amended by Ord. No. 171,427, Eff. 1/4/97, Oper. 3/5/97.)
11. Senior Independent Housing. (Added by Ord. No. 178,063, Eff. 12/30/06.)
12. Assisted Living Care Housing. (Added by Ord. No. 178,063, Eff. 12/30/06.)
B. Restriction. (Amended by Ord. No. 173,268, Eff. 7/1/00, Oper. 7/1/00.) For any lot designated as Public, Quasi-Public, Public/Quasi-Public Use, Other Public, or Open Space on the land use map of the applicable community or district plan; any lot shown on the map as having existing lakes, waterways, reservoirs, debris basins, or similar facilities; any lot shown on the map as the location of a freeway right-of-way; and any property annexed to the City of Los Angeles where a plan amendment was not adopted as part of the annexation proceedings:
Any of the uses permitted by Subsection A. of this section shall require prior approval in accordance with the provisions of Section 12.24.1 of this Code.
C. Area – No building or structure nor the enlargement of any building or structure shall be hereafter erected or maintained unless the following yards and lot areas are provided and maintained in connection with such building, structure or enlargement:
1. Front Yard – There shall be a front yard of not less than 15 feet; provided, however, that on key lots the minimum front yard shall be 10 feet. (Amended by Ord. No. 138,744, Eff. 12/24/69.)
2. Side Yards – For a main building not more than two stories in height there shall be a side yard on each side of said building of not less than five feet, except that where the lot is less than 50 feet in width, the side yard may be reduced to 10% of the width of the lot, but in no event to less than three feet in width. For a building more than two stories in height, one foot shall be added to the width of such side yard for each additional story above the second story, but in no event shall a side yard of more than 16 feet in width be required. (Amended by Ord. No. 110,225, Eff. 11/23/57.)
3. Rear Yard – There shall be a rear yard of not less than 15 feet in depth. (Amended by Ord. No. 121,925, Eff. 6/4/62.)
4. Lot Area – (Amended by Ord. No. 174,994, Eff. 1/15/03.) Every lot shall have a minimum width of 50 feet and a minimum area of 5,000 square feet. The minimum lot area per dwelling unit shall be 800 square feet.
However, where a lot has a width of less than 50 feet or an area of less than 5,000 square feet and was held under separate ownership or was of record as of September 23, 1956, and the lot was created in conformance with the Subdivision Map Act, the lot may be occupied by any use permitted in this section, except for those uses explicitly requiring more than 5,000 square feet of lot area. In no case, however, shall more than two dwelling units be permitted where a lot has an area of less than 4,000 square feet.
The minimum lot area per guest room shall be 500 square feet.
Exceptions to area regulations are provided for in Section 12.22 C.