Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Billboard. A billboard is allowed in the CB-2, CI-1, CI-2, and CI-3 zones subject to:
a. Minimum clearance: Ten feet.
b. Maximum faces per sign: Two.
c. No illumination.
d. Maximum number: None.
e. Landscaping ratio: None.
f. No on-site business identification sign shall be a part of or attached to a billboard.
g. No sign face area or object shall extend beyond the surface or rectangular perimeter of the billboard face.
h. All visible portions of the supporting structure shall be an earthtone shade of brown or green.
2. CB-2 and CI-1:
a. Maximum area: 75 square feet;
b. Maximum height: 16 feet;
c. Setbacks: 20 feet from any property line.
d. Location: Not within 660 feet of another billboard.
3. CI-2 and CI-3:
a. Maximum area: 300 square feet;
b. Maximum height: 24 feet;
c. Maximum faces: Two;
d. Setbacks: 20 feet from any property line, except a 30-foot front setback is required for a billboard with an area of more than 75-square feet; and
e. Location: A billboard with an area of 75 square feet or less shall not be within 660 feet of another billboard and a billboard with an area more than 75 square feet shall not be within 1,320 feet of another billboard.
4. A billboard shall not be located:
a. Within 200 feet of a residential zone or 100 feet of a building erected prior to the issuance of the billboard permit.
b. On a designated scenic route, excepting:
i. Interstate 10.
ii. Interstate 19.
iii. Those portions of State Highway 85 and 86 between the Tohono O'dham Reservation, the Pinal County line and the boundary of the Organ Pipe National Monument.
c. On a lot or parcel with a building or structure. A billboard constructed after November 19, 1985, shall be removed prior to the issuance of a certificate of occupancy for a building on the same lot or parcel.
d. A billboard within 300 feet of a county road constructed after January 1, 1984, or within a CB-2 zone shall require a sign use permit issued by the board of supervisors. The permit shall be: issued after a public hearing for which all owners of property within 600 feet of the proposed billboard have been notified by mail, subject to the requirements of Section 18.79.080(A)(1)(f)-(A)(1)(h), (A)(2), (A)(3), (A)(4)(a)-(c); and, in conformance with the purpose statement in Section 18.79.080(A)(4)(d)(i) of this chapter.
i. It is the purpose of this subsection to establish a framework of comprehensive sign standards for Pima County that reflect the community decision to preserve and enhance the natural, scenic desert environment of Pima County and to promote the health, safety and welfare of the community. It is the intent of this subsection to authorize the use of signs that:
a) Encourage an aesthetic appearance compatible with the surrounding human and natural environment along street frontages;
b) Encourage the clear visibility of the mountain and desert environment and improve the quality of the visual appearance of the community;
c) Promote signs that are appropriate to the type of activity to which they pertain;
d) Encourage legibility of sign information along street frontages;
e) Protect astronomical observation and minimize light intrusion onto adjacent property; and
f) Reduce visual clutter and glare in order to promote traffic and pedestrian safety and encourage the clearest possible visual perception of existing adjacent businesses and existing signs.
ii. The application fee for a public hearing before the board of supervisors concerning a CB-2 zone billboard sign use permit shall be in accordance with the development services fee schedule.
B. Building Entryway. A building entryway sign is allowed subject to a maximum sign area of 40 square feet, a maximum height of 8 feet, a minimum setback of 40 feet, and the sign face shall not be oriented to the street.
C. Canopy. A canopy sign is allowed subject to a maximum sign area of 60 square feet for the entire canopy.
D. Freestanding. A freestanding sign is allowed subject to:
1. Location: On-site; non-residential areas only.
a. Within 250 feet from the edge of the interstate right-of-way and within 1,000 feet parallel to the interstate (this area is measured toward the exit or entrance ramp from a point where the centerline of a ramp meets with the edge of the right-of-way of a contiguous road which is part of the interstate interchange);
b. Not within 300 feet of another freestanding sign.
2. Maximum number of signs per site: One sign, with the exception of a development complex having a street frontage of at least 500 feet is allowed one sign per vehicular access point.
Interstate style: One per site including any style of freestanding sign.
3. Maximum area per sign:
a. Nonresidential uses in the ML, SR, SR-2, SH, CR-1, CR-2, CR-3, CR-4, CR-5, CMH-1, CMH-2 zones: 32 square feet;
b. For all other zones, a site with:
i. Less than 300 feet of street frontage: 50 square feet;
ii. From 300 - 549 feet of street frontage: 64 square feet;
iii. Greater than 549 feet of street frontage: 90 square feet;
iv. Development complexes with 500 feet or greater of street frontage: 50 square feet per vehicular access point.
c. Hospital: 100 square feet each.
d. Interstate style: 150 square feet.
4. Maximum height per sign:
a. Nonresidential uses in the ML, SR, SR-2, SH, CR-1, CR-2, CR-3, CR-4, CR-5, CMH-1, CMH-2 zones: 6 feet;
b. For all other zones: 10 feet;
c. Hospital: 15 feet.
d. Interstate style: 25 feet above the interstate grade.
5. A 25 percent increase in the area and height of an internally or externally illuminated sign is allowed if the illumination measures of the Dark Sky Protection Option in Section 18.79.100(A)(4) are met.
6. Landscaping ratio per sign: 4:1.
7. Minimum setbacks:
i. Zero feet from property line if sign height is less than or equal to 10 feet.
ii. 10 feet from property line if sign height is greater than 10 feet.
b. Side: 10 feet from property line.
8. May include a change of sign copy component.
9. May include additional drive-through lane signs subject to:
a. Maximum number of signs: Two; one additional for more than one drive-through lane;
b. Maximum area per sign: 36 square feet;
c. Maximum height per sign: 7 feet;
d. Sound emitted shall not be audible from any nearby residential property.
e. Sign faces shall be oriented only to the drive-through lanes and located a maximum of 6 feet from the edge of the lanes.
10. Interstate style freestanding sign faces shall be perpendicular to or substantially oriented to the through travel lanes of the interstate.
11. Freestanding signs located along scenic routes shall be monument style as defined in Section 18.77.040(B)(2).
E. Minor. A minor sign is allowed subject to a maximum sign area of 6 square feet, a maximum height of 4 feet, and a minimum setback of 25 feet.
F. Subdivision entryway. A subdivision entryway sign is allowed subject to a maximum sign area of 40 square feet, a maximum height of 8 feet, and limited to one per entryway with a maximum of two per subdivision.
G. Suspended. A suspended sign is allowed subject to:
1. Location: On-site; non-residential areas only; near the tenant space.
2. Maximum number of signs: One per tenant space.
3. Maximum area: Calculated as part of the wall sign area allotment (reference 18.79.080(H)).
4. Maximum height: Building height.
5. Minimum clearance: Eight feet.
6. If a projecting sign, maximum projection allowed: Five feet.
H. Wall. A wall sign is allowed subject to:
1. Location: On-site; non-residential areas only; located on tenant space with the multi-tenant building maximum sign area exception of Section 18.79.080(H)(4)(b).
2. Maximum number of signs per tenant or building: Five.
3. Maximum sign area per site for nonresidential uses in the ML, SR, SR-2, SH CR-1, CR-2, CR-3, CR-4, CR-5, CMH-1, CMH-2 ones: 30 square feet.
4. For all other zones, maximum sign area per building:
a. Single tenant building:
i. 30 square feet or 1.5 square feet of area for every lineal foot of each building frontage for two building frontages plus .5 square feet for every lineal foot of building frontage for a third building frontage, whichever is greater, but no more than 200 square feet for building frontages less than or equal to 500 feet;
ii. For building frontages greater than 500 feet: no more than 300 square feet, on two building frontages. 150 square feet is permitted on a third building frontage.
b. Multi-tenant building: Thirty square feet or 1.5 square feet for each linear foot of building frontage up to 200 square feet per tenant for a maximum of two building frontages. Exception: If sign is not located on tenant space, maximum sign area is 30 square feet each.
5. Maximum height: First and top stories of a multi-story building; no projection above the roofline. Allowed on parapet walls that are structurally integrated into the original building design; not extensions added to an existing building.
6. A 25 percent increase in the area and height of a sign is allowed if the illumination measures of the Dark Sky Protection Option in Section 18.79.100(A) are met.
7. May include a change of sign copy component.
8. May include drive-through lane signs subject to:
a. Maximum area: 36 square feet;
b. Sound emitted must not be audible from any residential property.
I. Window. A window sign is allowed subject to:
1. Location: On-site; non-residential areas only;
2. Maximum area per sign: No more than 30 percent of the window on which the sign is displayed. Sign copy on a permanent window sign with letters or symbols no more than three inches high shall not be counted as part of the sign area allotment;
3. Maximum height: First and second floor building windows only;
4. Maximum number of illuminated signs: One per frontage and two total per site. If illuminated, window signs shall only be internally illuminated.
(Ord. 2020-41, § 5 (part), 2020)