Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) No person shall:
(1) Without privilege to do so, knowingly move, deface, damage, destroy or otherwise improperly tamper with the property of another;
(2) With purpose to interfere with the use or enjoyment of property of another employ a tear gas device, stink bomb, smoke generator or other device releasing a substance which is harmful or offensive to persons exposed or which tends to cause public alarm;
(3) Without privilege to do so, knowingly move, deface, damage, destroy or otherwise improperly tamper with a bench mark, triangulation station, boundary marker or other survey station, monument or marker;
(4) Without privilege to do so, knowingly move, deface, damage, destroy or otherwise improperly tamper with any safety device, the property of another or the property of the offender when required or placed for the safety of others, so as to destroy or diminish its effectiveness or availability for its intended purpose;
(5) With purpose to interfere with the use or enjoyment of the property of another, set a fire on the land of another or place personal property that has been set on fire on the land of another, which fire or personal property is outside and apart from any building, other structure or personal property that is on that land.
(b) As used in this section, “safety device” means any fire extinguisher, fire hose or fire axe, or any fire escape, emergency exit or emergency escape equipment, or any life line, life-saving ring, life preserver or life boat or raft, or any alarm, light, flare, signal, sign or notice intended to warn of danger, or emergency, or intended for other safety purpose, or any guard railing or safety barricade, or any traffic sign or signal, or any railroad grade crossing sign, signal or gate, or any first aid or survival equipment, or any other device, apparatus, or equipment intended for protecting or preserving the safety of persons or property.
(c) Whoever violates this section is guilty of criminal mischief, a misdemeanor if the property involved is not an aircraft, an aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, spare part, fuel, lubricant, hydraulic fluid, any other equipment, implement or material used or intended to be used in the operation of an aircraft, or any cargo carried or intended to be carried in an aircraft and if the violation does not create a risk of physical harm to any person, and if the property involved is not an occupied aircraft. A violation of this section is a misdemeanor of the third degree. If violation of this section creates a risk of physical harm to any person, criminal mischief is a misdemeanor of the first degree.
(RC 2909.07; Ord. No. 2823-89. Passed 3-19-90, eff. 3-22-90)