(Amended by Ord. No. 182,850, Eff. 1/3/14.)
91.6302.1. General. This section shall apply to every building or portion thereof appropriated to the processing, storage or sale of food or drink for human consumption, but not including any private dwelling. Every food establishment shall conform to the requirements of this Code.
1. Food establishments that are used exclusively for the sale of farm produce sold at or on the premises where produced.
2. Food preparation units installed in school buildings with the following provisions:
A. A sign must be posted requiring all mouth utensils to be of single-use, disposable type.
B. The floor surface of the area must be of linoleum, asphalt tile, or equivalent nonabsorbent material.
C. A residential-type vent must be installed when a residential kitchen range is provided.
3. Employee lunch rooms if no food other than beverages is prepared on the premises, and provided all mouth utensils are of the disposable type. Heating devices limited to this use need not be vented.
4. Food establishments in which all food is to be sold in sealed packages, and in which there is to be no preparing or packaging of food, shall comply with all applicable food establishment regulations. The Certificate of Occupancy shall state “Packaged Food Only.”
91.6302.2. Ceiling Heights. Every room shall have a ceiling height of not less than eight feet between the finished floor and the finished ceiling.
1. Toilet rooms may have a ceiling height of not less than seven feet six inches.
2. Refrigerated cold storage rooms are exempted from this ceiling height requirement.
91.6302.3. Special Ventilation. (Amended by Ord. No. 181,758, Eff. 8/8/11.) A mechanical exhaust ventilation system capable of effectively removing cooking odors, smoke, steam, grease and vapors shall be provided at or above cooking equipment such as ranges, griddles, ovens, deep fat fryers, barbecues and rotisseries.
All hoods, ducts, fans and other devices provided to ventilate the cooking areas of commercial food preparation equipment in commercial food establishments shall be installed as required by and in compliance with the provisions of the Los Angeles Mechanical Code. Rooms in which exhaust systems are installed shall be provided with acceptable air inlets to admit at least as much air as is exhausted by these systems.
Ducts penetrating a ceiling or floor shall be enclosed in a shaft enclosure conforming to the requirements of CBC Section 713. Where a shaft enclosure is not required by CBC Section 713, ducts that convey grease vapors shall be enclosed in a one-hour fire-resistive shaft. The shaft shall be separated from the duct by a minimum 6 inch (152.4 mm) air space vented to the outside air. (Amended by Ord. No. 185,587, Eff. 7/16/18.)
91.6302.4. Toilet Rooms and Vestibules. (Amended by Ord. No. 186,488, Eff. 12/27/19.) Toilet rooms and vestibules for public or employees shall conform to the following standards:
1. Toilet Rooms Required. At least one toilet room shall be provided for every food establishment. Adequate separate toilet facilities for each sex shall be provided where the number of employees is four or more. In or immediately adjacent to every toilet room required hereunder there shall be installed one-half as many lavatories as there are water closets and urinals. Each lavatory shall be equipped with running hot and cold water.
Where alcoholic beverages are sold or given away for consumption on the premises, the toilet facilities shall comply with Section 11.38.570 D. of the Los Angeles County Health Code as enforced by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.
2. Location. Toilet rooms shall be located on the premises of the food establishment. Toilet rooms for public use shall be readily accessible to customers. Toilet rooms shall be separated from other portions of the establishment by a tight-fitting, self-closing door.
Additional lavatories or equivalent hand-washing facilities shall be provided in all food preparation areas where the lavatories required in Item 1 are not conveniently located on the same floor and in or adjacent to the food preparation areas.
3. Privacy. Toilet rooms shall be so arranged or equipped with view screens as to protect users of toilets and urinals from view from outside the room when the door to the toilet room is open.
EXCEPTION: View screen is not required if the toilet room is only for single accommodation, unisex and a bathroom is provided.
4. Dimensions. Toilet rooms shall have dimensions and area as required in Division 11, Article 1, Chapter IX of the LAMC.
91.6302.5. Employee Storage Areas. (Amended by Ord. No. 186,488, Eff. 12/27/19.) Lockers or other suitable facilities within food establishments shall be provided in compliance with Section 114256 of the California Health and Safety Code as enforced by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.
91.6302.6. Garbage Rooms. Restaurants with a seating capacity of 50 or more patrons shall be provided with a room or enclosed space for the keeping of garbage containers. The room shall have portland cement plaster, fireclay tile, ceramic tile or equally durable waterproof walls to a height of at least six feet above the floor. Doors and windows of such rooms shall be tight fitting and self-closing and all exterior openings shall be screened. Each such room shall be equipped with a hose or other suitable garbage can washing device connected to hot and cold running water and the floor shall slope to a drain and comply the requirements of the Los Angeles County Health Department.
EXCEPTION: Such garbage rooms need not be provided at places maintaining an approved device for discharging garbage to the sewer system.
91.6302.7. Rat Protection. Every food establishment shall be completely surrounded by a continuous exterior foundation wall not less than 12 inches below grade.