Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) This section shall apply to the following categories:
(1) Removal, encapsulation, enclosure or replacement of asbestos-containing materials (including insulation); and
(2) Work in or into plenum spaces of existing buildings (e.g. electrical, ventilation, cable, sheet metal work, etc.); and
(3) Removal of asbestos-covered structures and equipment such as boilers, pipes, etc.; and
(4) Other miscellaneous activities not previously exempted.
(c) Asbestos Projects. If the cumulative total of all surfaces affected by the work is an asbestos project, the department's asbestos project notification (ACP-7 Form) completed by the building owner or authorized agent, and listing each work area within the building separately, shall be submitted directly to the department one week in advance of the start of the work along with a filing fee in the following amounts:
(1) For work which will disturb more than 25 linear feet but less than 100 linear feet, or more than 10 square feet but less than 50 square feet, of asbestos-containing material, the fee shall be $200.
(2) For work which will disturb at least 100 linear feet and less than 260 linear feet, or at least 50 square feet and less than 160 square feet, of asbestos-containing material, the fee shall be $400.
(3) For work which will disturb at least 260 linear feet and less than 1,000 linear feet, or at least 160 square feet and less than 1,000 square feet, of asbestos-containing material, the fee shall be $800.
(4) For work which will disturb 1,000 linear feet or more, or 1,000 square feet or more, of asbestos-containing materials, the fee shall be $1,200.
(d) Modification of or deviation from the information provided in any notification submitted to the DEP under this section must immediately be reported to DEP using the ARTS E-File system if the change refers to the identity of the building owner or ACM removal contractor or the air monitoring firm; or the amount of ACM to be removed; or the dates of the project; or the specific project location. A notification may be modified no more than twice, but a modification related to the extension or reinstatement of an asbestos abatement permit shall not count towards this total. A modification is valid only if it is received by the DEP prior to the previously filed date of completion, except for start date changes which must be received by the original start date. If the modification is received after that date, a new notification submitted directly to the department will be required. Additional work, identified after the completion of the work indicated on the asbestos project notification and successful clearance air monitoring, shall require a new notification. A notification to DEP shall be valid for one year from the date of original filing.
(Amended City Record 12/7/2018, eff. 1/6/2019)