Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The following days shall be considered as holidays: New Year's Day, Good Friday (one-half day only), Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Election Days, Thanksgiving and the day following Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. If any of the above listed holidays falls on a Saturday, normally the holiday will be observed on the immediately preceding Friday and if any of the above holidays falls on a Sunday, normally the holiday will be observed on the immediate succeeding Monday.
(B) Compensation pay for holidays not worked.
(l) If a holiday falls on a regular scheduled work day, and the employee is not required to work on the day, the employee will be paid holiday pay at a regular straight time rate for the time the employee normally would have been scheduled to work.
(2) If a holiday falls on a regular scheduled day off, and the employee is not notified to work on the day, the city will at its option either:
(a) Pay the employee eight hours at regular straight time rate for such holiday; or
(b) In lieu of the holiday pay, at a time convenient to the city, in the current preceding or succeeding week, give the employee a day off on one of his scheduled work days with pay at the rate the employee would have received if the employee had worked the scheduled day. If the employee is notified to work on a holiday and does not work, he will not receive pay for that day, unless excused by the city.
(3) An employee shall not receive holiday pay if he has an unexcused absence for any portion of a scheduled work day immediately preceding or following a holiday.
(4) An employee shall not be paid holiday pay for any scheduled work day that he is absent from work due to a disability.
(5) If a holiday falls during an employee's scheduled vacation, the city will at its option either:
(a) Pay holiday pay and schedule a day of vacation at a later day convenient to the city and the employee; or
(b) In lieu of holiday pay, at a time convenient to the city, give the employee a day off during the work week preceding the vacation period or a day off during the work week immediately following the vacation period. Pay for this day off shall be at the employee's regular straight-time rate.
(6) For the purposes of computation of overtime only, a holiday falling within an employee's regular work schedule, and in which the employee is not required to work, or a day off in lieu of a holiday, shall be deemed as time worked to the extent of eight hours.
(C) Compensation pay for holidays worked. If an employee is required to work on a holiday which falls within the time limits of the normal regular schedule for that day, the employee will be paid one and one-half times the applicable straight-time rate in addition to holiday pay provided in division (B) above.
(Ord. 1982-6, passed - - )