(Added by Ord. No. 180,602, Eff. 4/24/09.)
(a) Definitions: For the purpose of this Section, the following words and phrases are defined and shall be construed as hereinafter set out, unless it shall be apparent from the context that they have a different meaning:
1. A Carshare Vehicle shall mean a motor vehicle that is operated as part of a regional fleet by a public or private car sharing company or organization and provides hourly or daily service.
2. The City's Carshare Program shall mean a program whereby the Department of Transportation designates parking spaces for the exclusive use of vehicles displaying Department-issued Carshare Permits.
3. A Carshare Permit shall mean a permit issued by the Department of Transportation to a Carshare Vehicle meeting the requirements of this section, which exempts the vehicle from the parking restrictions posted pursuant to this section.
4. An Eligible Carshare Organization shall mean a public or private company or organization satisfying the criteria of this section.
(b) Designation of Spaces: The Department of Transportation is hereby authorized to designate streets or portions of streets, or Publicly Owned Off-Street Parking Facilities or portions of the Facilities, upon which parking is reserved for the exclusive use of vehicles displaying a permit issued pursuant to the provisions of Subsection (e) of this Section. No person shall park, when authorized signs are in place giving notice thereof, any vehicle or motor vehicle in a place designated for the exclusive parking of motor vehicles participating in the City's Carshare Program. Only vehicles that have a properly displayed, City-issued Carshare Permit are exempt from this restriction. (First Sentence Amended by Ord. No. 182,187, Eff. 8/22/12.)
(c) Eligibility Criteria for Carshare Organizations: Participation in the City's Carshare Program is limited to carshare companies or organizations that meet the following criteria:
1. Vehicle reservations are processed and paid for using an online system.
2. Carshare vehicles can be accessed where they are parked without having to go to a different physical location to execute a contract and/or pick up the keys.
3. For purposes of the Pilot Program, a Qualified Carshare Organization (QCO) shall be an organization owning or operating at least 100 vehicles as part of a regional fleet for hire by individuals for self-service operation to provide hourly or daily service, and for which the QCO provides liability insurance of at least the City required minimums. A QCO shall not include a taxi or a privately owned and operated vehicle subcontracted under a rideshare program, or a charter party carrier or other vehicle regulated, licensed or permitted by the California Public Utilities Commission. (Amended by Ord. No. 183,569, Eff. 7/9/15.)
(d) Vehicle Requirements. (Amended by Ord. No. 185,761, Eff. 10/19/18.) A Carshare Vehicle participating in the Carshare Pilot Program shall not be more than 72 inches in height or 20 feet in length. A QCO shall not place a vehicle in service in the City unless the vehicle has been preapproved by the Department, a permit for the vehicle has been obtained from the Department, and the QCO has paid all applicable fees and administrative costs as set forth in Subsection (e) and the Department's Rules and Regulations.
(e) Issuance of Permits. (Amended by Ord. No. 185,761, Eff. 10/19/18.) The Department is hereby authorized to issue a Carshare Permit to a qualifying vehicle of an Eligible Carshare Organization participating in the City's Carshare Program, utilizing either Fixed-Space or Free-Floating Programs as defined in the Department's Rules and Regulations.
1. Program Fees.
a. Annual Permit Fee. $250 per each Carshare Vehicle; fee applies to both Fixed-Space and Free-Floating programs.
b. One-Time Implementation Fee. $200 per each converted space for Fixed-Space program.
c. Permit Replacement Fee. $11.50 per each replacement; fee applies to both Fixed-Space and Free-Floating programs.
2. Parking/Meter Recovery Fees.
a. Fixed-Space Program.
(i) Metered Spaces. Fees will be charged and collected from each QCO per Fixed-Space according to the table below for meters that generate $3,600 per year or less.
Annual Meter Revenue
Monthly Tier Fee
Annual Fee for Use
$2,001 - $3,600
$1,001 - $2,000
(ii) Non-Metered On-Street Spaces.
(a) $75 monthly fee per each converted space from a reclaimed red zone or other non-metered curb.
(b) If the designated space is located on a block that subsequently becomes metered, the Department shall determine the monthly fee by the collected meter revenue, as specified in Subsection (e)2.a.(i).
(iii) Unmetered Off-Street City Controlled Spaces. Annually, the QCO shall pay the City for each Fixed-Space converted for use under this program in off-street City controlled parking lots and structures in the amount equal to:
(a) The monthly charge per space multiplied by the number of spaces multiplied by 12 months, where a monthly rate is available to the general public; or
(b) Where a daily rate is offered, the QCO shall pay to the City the daily rate multiplied by the number of spaces multiplied by the number of days in the year; or
(c) In a lot where only an hourly rate is charged, the QCO shall pay the City for the number of spaces multiplied by the charge per hour multiplied by the number of hours available for public use multiplied by the number of days available for public use.
b. Free-Floating Program.
(i) Initial Payment Per Vehicle: $1,500 per vehicle.
(ii) The Department will calculate the final payment by subtracting the initial $1,500 per vehicle payment from the actual meter revenue.
(f) Posting of Carshare Vehicle Parking Spaces: Upon Department of Transportation designation of streets or portions of streets, or Publicly Owned Off-Street Parking Facilities or portions of the Facilities, to be reserved for the exclusive parking of Carshare Vehicles, the Department shall cause appropriate signs to be erected in such street or Publicly Owned Off-Street Parking Facilities, indicating prominently thereon the parking restrictions and stating that motor vehicles with valid permits shall be exempt from the restrictions. The Department is further authorized to include notice, on any sign installed pursuant to this section, that vehicles left standing in violation of such sign may be removed. The provisions of this section shall not apply until signs or markings giving adequate notice thereof are in place. (First Sentence Amended by Ord. No. 182,187, Eff. 8/22/12.)
(g) Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations (EV) installed in the Public Right-of-Way as part of an EV care share Disadvantaged Communities Pilot Program Agreement, approved by City Council, shall be exempt from the provisions of Los Angeles Municipal Code Section 62.08 (Specifications and Procedures for Above Ground Facilities Installations in the Public Rights-of-Way). (Added by Ord. No. 184,724, Eff. 3/6/17.)
(h) Parking Restrictions for Free-Floating Program. (Added by Ord. No. 185,761, Eff. 10/19/18.) The Department shall issue a master citywide parking permit to a vehicle in a Free-Floating Carshare Program once all applicable fees have been paid. With this permit, the vehicle may park in any designated meter or non-metered parking space during the times when parking is legally allowed.
1. A vehicle is prohibited from parking in any colored curb space, including a parking restricted space marked with a red, blue, yellow, green or white color.
2. A vehicle is prohibited from ending the lease by leaving the vehicle in a peak hour travel lane, regardless of the time of day.
3. A vehicle is not subject to posted time, Preferential Parking district, and Overnight Parking District restrictions, unless otherwise stated in this section.
4. A violation will be subject to appropriate citations and/or tows.