Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) The Commissioner of Traffic Engineering is hereby authorized to supervise erection and maintenance of traffic control devices as required by this Traffic Code and as the Commissioner of Traffic Engineering may deem necessary to regulate, guide or warn traffic, which are consistent with the provisions of this Traffic Code. All traffic control devices placed pursuant to the provisions of this Traffic Code shall conform to the Ohio Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices for Streets and Highways, as set forth in RC 4511.09.
(b) The Commissioner of Traffic Engineering is hereby authorized to:
(1) Designate by appropriate devices or markings upon the surface of the roadway, crosswalks or intersections and at such other places as he or she deems necessary. The Commissioner of Streets shall place such devices and markings;
(2) Establish safety zones of such kind and character and at such places as he or she deems necessary for the protection of pedestrians;
(3) Determine lanes for traffic at such places as he or she deems necessary. The Commissioner of Streets shall mark such lanes on street pavements;
(4) Determine the right and left side of laned streets. The Commissioner of Streets shall mark the center line of such streets;
(5) Establish temporarily a zone of quiet upon any street where a person is seriously ill if requested by the written statement of at least one (1) registered physician certifying to its necessity. A temporary zone of quiet shall embrace all territory within a radius of two hundred (200) feet of the building occupied by the person named in the request of the physician, and shall be designated by placing at a conspicuous place in the street a sign bearing the words “Quiet Zone,” which sign shall be placed by the Commissioner of Streets;
(6) Determine the location of truck zones and placement of appropriate signs indicating such and stating the hours during which the provisions regarding truck zones are applicable;
(7) Designate by means of markers or signs placed above, within or adjacent to intersections, the lanes from which right or left turns only shall be made, or the lanes from which right or left turns may be made by vehicles turning at such intersections;
(8) Determine the location of loading and unloading zones where there are physically recessed areas from the street provided for loading and unloading and when no parking is permitted within the block. The appropriate signs indicating such and stating the hours during which the provisions regarding such loading and unloading zones are applicable shall be placed and maintained by the Commissioner of Streets;
(9) Determine the location of taxicab stands signs indicating such and stating the prohibitions or provisions relative thereto shall be placed and maintained by the Commissioner of Streets;
(10) Establish parking meter zones on streets or parts thereof where parking meters shall be installed and maintained by the Division of Parking Facilities, and where parking shall be regulated by the provisions of Chapter 453;
(11) Establish criteria for the installation of traffic control signals at private accessways. All costs relative to such installations shall be borne by the industrial or commercial establishment or other traffic generator or any part or combination thereof who benefits from such installation.
(Ord. No. 1806-2000. Passed 3-19-01, eff. 3-26-01) (BOC Res. No. 223-01. Adopted 4-4-01)