Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) For the purpose of this section, the term “dumpster” shall mean any unit designed for the collection of large quantities of trash, yard waste, garbage, building or construction debris, trees or limbs designed to be delivered and picked-up by a truck and which is left on site in any zoning district. Dumpsters do not include garbage cans which can be moved by a person.
(b) Dumpsters are permitted within non-residential and multiple-family districts for the regular collection of trash and garbage from the premises thereof, subject to all other applicable zoning requirements for screening and location. Dumpsters are not permitted as a principal permitted use, accessory use or as a special use in any single-family zoning district within the City.
(c) For single-family districts, properties, and uses, dumpsters are permitted as a temporary use subject to the following limitations:
(1) At construction sites, not to exceed three (3) months without written approval of the Chief Building Official and then not to exceed a period reasonably necessary to complete the construction. Dumpster may be located in an unpaved driveway provided it is outside of City right-of-way.
(2) For existing structures, dumpsters may be located on-site for the duration of the remodeling, renovation, or expansion work but not to exceed a total of three (3) months in a calendar year without written approval of the Chief Building Official and then not to exceed a period reasonably necessary to complete the construction. Dumpster must be located on a paved surface out of the right-of-way.
(3) Dumpster must be removed from the premise after construction is complete, prior to issuance of a certificate of occupancy.
(4) No more than one (1) dumpster at a time is permitted on a single-family residential lot without written approval of the Chief Building Official.
(5) No trash, yard waste, garbage, building or construction debris, tree limbs may be brought from other properties or premises to a dumpster located on residential premises.
(Ord. C26-06. Passed 5-1-06.)