Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Any officer of the County of San Diego who is not specifically authorized by statute to do so, is hereby authorized to accept negotiable paper in payment of any license, fee, permit or fine or in payment of any other obligation owing to the County of San Diego. This authorization to accept negotiable paper is subject to the provisions of Chapter 2.5 of Division 7 of Title 1 of the Government Code and the following conditions heretofore established by resolution of the Board of Supervisors:
1. All negotiable paper accepted shall be endorsed promptly with a restrictive endorsement stamp.
2. No person shall request or authorize the refund of a payment made by negotiable paper until there shall have elapsed following such payment a reasonable time for the paper to have cleared and to have been paid or returned unpaid to the officer accepting such paper.
(b) Any officer of the County of San Diego who is not specifically authorized by statute to do so, is hereby authorized to accept credit cards in payment of any of the following:
1. The payment for the deposit of bail or for any fine for any offense not declared to be a felony or for any court-ordered fee, fine, forfeiture, penalty, assessment, or restitution.
2. The payment of a filing fee or other court fee.
3. The payment of any towage or storage costs for a vehicle which has been removed from a highway, or from public or private property, as a result of parking violations.
4. The payment of child, family, or spousal support, including reimbursement of public assistance related fees, costs, or penalties, with the authorization of the cardholder.
5. The payment for services rendered or goods sold by the County.
6. The payment of any fee, charge, or tax due to the County.
7. The payment of any moneys payable to the Sheriff pursuant to a levy under a writ of attachment or writ of execution. Pursuant to Government Code Section 6159 any fees charged for processing the transaction shall be paid by the payor.
8. The payment of a donation, gift, bequest, or devise to the County subject to provisions in the Administrative Code.
9. A department may impose a fee for the use of a credit or debit card or electronic funds transfer not to exceed the costs incurred in providing the payment by credit or debit card or electronic funds transfer. Any fee shall be approved by the Board of Supervisors.
This authorization to accept credit cards is subject to provisions of Government Code Section 6159.
(Added by Ord. No. 1513 (N.S.), adopted 11-1-55; amended by Ord. No. 1515 (N.S.), adopted 11-8-55; amended by Ord. No. 1708 (N.S.), adopted 11-5-57; amended by Ord. No. 1715 (N.S.), adopted 11-26-57; amended by Ord. No. 4922 (N.S.), effective 6-30-77; amended by Ord. No. 8388 (N.S.), effective 5-19-94; amended by Ord. No. 10188 (N.S.), effective 1-5-12; amended by Ord. No. 10307 (N.S.), effective 1-2-14)