Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A board, commission, department, or administrative head of the office may direct, in writing, a request for the lease or license of real property to the Director of General Services, or designee ("Director"). Prior to initiating the lease negotiation process, the lease of real property for County use shall be approved in principle by the Chief Administrative Officer, or designee, for lease space anticipated to be 10,000 square feet or less, or by the Board of Supervisors for lease space anticipated to be in excess of 10,000 square feet.
(a) Lease or License Not Exceeding Statutory Rent or Term.
1) Pursuant to Government Code section 25350.51, the Director may approve, perform all acts necessary to consummate, and amend a lease or license of real property for use by the County, so long as the term and rental rate do not exceed the amounts specified in Government Code section 25350.51, provided that:
a. The rental rate has been determined by the Director to represent a reasonable rate;
b. For a lease, the lease will be in accordance with the County's Hazardous Materials Investigations Site Assessment and Mitigation Procedures;
c. The lease or license complies with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA);
d. The Director causes the notice required by Government Code section 25350.51(b) or other applicable statute to be given within the time required by law.
(b) Lease or License Exceeding Statutory Rent or Term.
1) The Director may negotiate preliminarily for the lease or license and shall forward a recommendation on the lease or license to the Chief Administrative Officer.
2) The Chief Administrative Officer shall prepare a summary of the proposed lease or license and forward the summary along with a recommendation to the Board of Supervisors.
3) If State law requires giving notice of intent to consummate the proposed lease or license, the Chief Administrative Officer shall provide the Board of Supervisors with the information required to be included in any such notice, including the date and time the Board of Supervisors will meet to consider, and, if approved, authorize the lease or license.
4) The Director may amend real property leases or licenses to provide for improvements, alterations, or both in accordance with Government Code section 25350.51. The Director shall submit all other lease or license amendments to the Board of Supervisors for approval.
(Added by Ord. No. 1411 (N.S.), adopted 8-24-54; repealed and new Section added by Ord. No. 3524 (N.S.), adopted 5-26-70, effective 7-1-70; amended by Ord. No. 4514 (N.S.), effective 6-26-75, operative 7-1-75; amended by Ord. No. 5155 (N.S.), effective 6-8-78; amended by Ord. No. 5355 (N.S.), effective 2-22-79, operative 3-23-79; amended by Ord. No. 6454 (N.S.), effective 11-11-82; amended by Ord. No. 8154 (N.S.), adopted 10-6-92; amended by Ord. No. 9981 (N.S.), effective 5-21-09; repealed by Ord. No. 10365 (N.S.), effective 2-5-15; new Section 73.1 added by Ord. No. 10365 (N.S.), effective 2-5-15; amended by Ord. No. 10636 (N.S.), effective 12-19-19 ; amended by Ord. No. 10711 (N.S.), effective 2-11-21)
Cross reference(s)--Chief administrative officer, § 120 et seq.