Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Erosion and sediment control planning shall be part of the initial site planning process. In the planning process, the applicant shall also address the following:
(1) For projects that involve phased construction, existing land cover for those areas not under current development shall be addressed. If existing land cover does not consist of appropriate dense vegetation, then these phases shall be planted temporarily to reduce erosion from idle land.
(2) In planning the erosion and sediment control strategy, preference shall be given to reducing erosion rather than controlling sediment. In order to accomplish this, details need to be provided that include the construction sequence of the phases such that the amount of land area exposed to erosive forces is the minimum for the completion of the project. Standards and specifications for erosion and sediment control measures shall be in accordance with the latest edition of the Illinois Urban Manual.
(B) Erosion and sediment control plans shall be in accordance with this subchapter and shall include the following:
(1) Detailed construction phasing plan, identifying erosion and sediment control measures to be in place for each phase, shall be provided.
(2) Erosion and sediment control measures are to be installed initially prior to stripping existing vegetation or mass grading. Details of this shall be provided on the plans.
(3) Permanent stabilization measures shall be identified as such.
(4) The expected two-year and ten-year runoff rates from all offsite areas draining into the site shall be identified on the plan.
(5) Methods for conveying flows through the site during construction shall be indicated. These methods shall include the temporary and permanent stabilization measures to be used to reduce velocity and erosion from flow through the construction zone.
(6) A maintenance schedule of each measure used shall be indicated on the plan. As a minimum, all erosion and sediment control measures on site shall be inspected weekly by the applicant, or the applicant’s onsite representative, or after a one-half inch or greater rainfall event, and any required repairs shall be made to keep these measures functional as designed.
(C) Special management areas and any required buffers shall be indicated on the erosion and sediment control plan.
(Ord. 2019-03, passed 4-15-2019)