Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The regulations regarding accessory buildings and uses shall be as follows.
(a) Limited use. Accessory buildings and uses are buildings and uses customarily incident to any of the permitted uses in the district in which it is located. In the A-1, RR, RS, RD and RA districts, accessory buildings and uses are limited to:
(1) A noncommercial greenhouse that does not exceed in floor area 25% of the ground floor area on the main building;
(2) A private residential structure used only for the storage of noncommercial vehicles and other related material;
(3) Tennis court, swimming pool, garden house, pergola, ornamental gate, barbeque oven, fireplace and similar uses customarily accessory to residential uses;
(4) Home occupation in conformance with § 158.273; and
(5) Temporary storage and distribution of seed and similar type products provided the use is located within a farmstead, the product is stored within a completely enclosed building typical of farm buildings and the use is limited to the seasonal sale of products from the premises.
(b) Time of construction. No accessory buildings shall be constructed upon a lot until the construction of a main building has been actually commenced, and no accessory buildings shall be used unless the main building on the lot is also being used.
(c) Setback requirements.
(1) Accessory buildings which are attached to or located within ten feet of the main building shall be considered a part of the main building and shall comply with the same yard requirements as the main building.
(2) Accessory buildings not a part of the main building, when located in the required rear yard, shall be no closer than three feet to the side and rear property lines.
(d) Location of accessory buildings. Accessory buildings shall not occupy more than 30% of the rear yard, subject further to the following limitations:
(1) In the A-1 and RC districts, the total area of accessory buildings shall not exceed 1,200 square feet when the buildings are located in a subdivision of more than four lots unless a conditional use permit has been approved;
(2) In all residential districts, the total area of accessory buildings shall not exceed 1,200 square feet unless a conditional use permit has been approved; and
(3) In a planned development district, the total area of accessory buildings shall not exceed 1,200 square feet unless a minor amendment has been approved.
(e) Family day care. Family day care.
(1992 Code, App. F, § 15.07) (Ord. 10-06, passed 1-23-2006)