Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Reckless Operation.
(1) Any person who operates any vessel or manipulates any water skis, aquaplane, or similar device on the waters in this Municipality carelessly or heedlessly, or in disregard of the rights or safety of any person, vessel, or property, or without due caution, at a rate of speed or in a manner so as to endanger any person, vessel, or property is guilty of reckless operation of the vessel or other device.
(2) No person shall operate or permit the operation of a vessel in an unsafe manner. A vessel shall be operated in a reasonable and prudent manner at all times. Unsafe vessel operation includes, without limitation, any of the following:
A. A vessel becoming airborne or completely leaving the water while crossing the wake of another vessel at a distance of less than 100 feet, or at an unsafe distance, from the vessel creating the wake;
B. Operating at such a speed and proximity to another vessel or to a person attempting to ride on one or more water skis, surfboard, inflatable device, or similar device being towed by a vessel so as to require the operator of either vessel to swerve or turn abruptly to avoid collision;
C. Operating less than 200 feet directly behind a person water skiing or attempting to water ski;
D. Weaving through congested traffic.
(b) Maintaining Sufficient Control. No person shall operate or permit the operation of a vessel on the waters in this municipality without maintaining sufficient control to avoid an incident that results in property damage, physical injury, loss of life, or any combination of them.
(c) Wakes Restricted.
(1) As used in this division (c), “public service” means activities that include, but are not limited to, escorting or patrolling special water events, traffic control, salvage, firefighting, medical assistance, assisting disabled vessels, and search and rescue.
(2) No person shall operate a vessel at a speed that creates a wake within 100 feet of a stationary law enforcement vessel displaying at least one flashing, oscillating, or rotating light conforming with 33 C.F.R. 88.11.
(3) No person shall operate a vessel at a speed that creates a wake within 100 feet of a vessel that is being used to provide public service and that displays at least one flashing, oscillating, or rotating light conforming with 33 C.F.R. 88.12.
(4) No person shall permit any vessel to be operated on the waters in this municipality in violation of this division (c).
(d) (1) Whoever violates divisions (a) or (c) of this section without causing injury to persons or damage to property is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.
(2) Whoever violates divisions (a) or (c) of this section causing injury to persons or damage to property is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.
(3) Whoever violates division (b) of this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.