Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) The City Commission may authorize certain employees as "citation officers". The legislative body of the city may authorize the duties of citation officers as needed. Citation officers shall have the qualifications prescribed by ordinance.
(b) No person shall be appointed as a citation officer unless he or she is:
(1) At least twenty-one (21) years of age; and
(2) A citizen of the United States; and
(3) Have a valid Kentucky drivers license; and
(4) Is a high school graduate or has received a General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.); and
(5) No person who has been convicted of a felony is eligible for appointment.
(c) Before entering upon his/her duties of office, a citation officer shall take the oath as prescribed by Kentucky Constitution, § 228.
(d) If required by the City Commission, a bond in such amount as may be fixed by the City Commission, shall be filed with the City Clerk.
(e) The City Manager shall make the appointment with approval of the Commission. The citation officer shall serve at the pleasure of the City Commission. The citation officer shall file a monthly report with the City Commission on the first day of each month reporting on activities for the previous month. The City Manager may delegate to the Chief of Police or other officer or employee of the city the superintendence over the citation officer.
(f) Citation Officers shall not have the powers of peace officers to make arrests and shall not therefore complete the training prescribed in KRS 95.955, but may issue citations as authorized by ordinance upon observance of:
(1) Non-moving motor vehicle offenses.
(2) Violations of ordinances except for moving motor vehicle offenses and except for offenses which constitute a violation of the Kentucky Penal Code.
(3) Any other duties prescribed by the City Commission and not contrary to state law.
(g) The procedure for citations issued by a citation officer shall be as provided in KRS 431.015.
(h) This section shall not be a limitation on the power of a citation officer to make an arrest as a private person as provided in KRS 431.005.
(Ord. No. 1708, 10-9-06; Ord. No. 1890, § 2, 12-12-16)